got my 92 Jetta

i had my new (92) jetta towed to my shop today. no. 2 con rod appears to be broken. lots o bangin and no compression on that hole. werll the car looks nice and a quick once over it looks like the 85 golf diesel 5sp. to 92 jetta gas auto might work out well. but just for the sake of speed, would the diesel putt putt putt the jetta along okay with the automatic and if so is there a flywheel available for the 85 NA 1.6 diesel to the 92 Jetta gas automatic. thanks for any help.

doug

Reply to
doug

Never done it....have read about it numerous times....have come to the conclusion to stay with the drivetrain from the 85. Swap 2 known good units in and be happy! Hell rebuild the diesel while it is out if it has issues!

Reply to
Simplstupd

Congrats on your new car!! :-)

well lets see......... Heavy vehicle + Lower revving engine + Automatic transmission set up for the higher revving gas engine. = NOT GOOD! I would either install another gas engine (easiest) or install diesel and trans together. Driveplate should fit the diesel also. :-)

What do you want? Economy, or Speed, or a possible nightmare to drive? lol

Just thinking out loud! ;-) good luck though! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

thank you very much

i bought it figuring on transplanting the engine and transaxle both to the jetta but thought i could get on the road a good bit quicker with just the engine and if it turned out dreadful could do the trans (and pedals, shifter, shift linkage, clutch cable etc.) later

well i want it ALL of course. 8 second quarter mile, 200 mph top speed, 75 mpg, run on water if needed, and mute twin of my wife but with red hair.

actually i don't mind slow, i've had fast cars and slow cars. 72 type

2 and a 70 Opel Kadett both ring the bell pretty loud on the slow side. i just didn't want to spend 500 bucks on a flywheel for the diesel just to find out it wouldn't move itself foward without a push. and btw, my wife is beautiful and doesn't talk too much.

hope that last bit keeps me out of trouble

doug

Reply to
doug

snip

I guess since you wish to convert the Jetta to diesel then do it the best way by converting all of the drivetrain over. engine, trans, pedal assembly, shifter, instrument cluster, cold start cable, wiring for the glowplug system, etc. Might be a completely bolton transplant. :-)

Then sell that auto trans to possibly recoup some $$$. :-)

UH you could still pop in another gas engine cheaply, easily and quickly and sell the Jetta to possibly help pay for a newer VW Diesel powered vehicle! Had to try that! lol

dave

The turbo diesel was available with a auto as I recall in the 86 time frame. However I would not overburden the non turbo 1.6 diesel with a auto. I can't tell if your 92 is gas or diesel but if it's gas you definetly don't want a diesel trans in it! Look at the different ratios for the a2's in the bently. The stock 92 5 sp is a close ratio and runs out of breath on the freeway. If you do a lot of freeway driving consider a 5 speed from a 89 gas jetta.

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo