HELP!!! Lug nut size???

How do you tell what size lug nuts you have? Also, what does it mean when someone says lug size is 14mm x 1.5 or 12mm x 1.5, etc. Thanks.

Art Imerito

1969 Cal Look Bug
Reply to
BIG ART 330

My guess would be (this is an educated guess) that the first number is the diameter of the threaded part of the lug bolt in millimeters and the second number is the length of the bolt in inches...

Wade Hasbrouck

1967 Beetle (Debuger)
Wade Hasbrouck

Aircooled VW's lugnuts are 19mm. That's the size of the wrench you use to talk them out of being frozen!

The thread size? Dunno.

Reply to
John Kuthe

Dear Art (and the Group),

Metric-dimensioned fasteners use the same method of identification as those sized in inches, which is the diameter of the threaded portion of the fastener and the pitch of the threads. If you're talking bolts or studs, you then add the length.

Here's a 'fer instance' -- If you go down to the hardware store and ask for a three inch quarter-twenty you'll get a bolt 1/4" in diameter threaded 20 to the inch and three inches long.

So... 14mm x 1.5 sez you're talking about a nut rather than a bolt or stud since you haven't specified a length. The 14mm gives you the diameter, the 1.5 gives you the pitch of the thread, meaning the distance BETWEEN the threads or one thread every 1.5mm.

A millimeter is .03937" so a pitch of 1.5mm is about sixteen threads to the inch, which isn't very accurate but will give you some idea what you're looking for.

Of course, if you're talking air cooled Volkswagens, you probably don't have lug NUTS, you got lug BOLTS, which over the years have come in several flavors.

Those kewl after-market rims often require studs instead of bolts, in which case you gotta be careful about confusing show with go, since a lot of them are nice to look at but do not provide positive indexing of the rim to the drum. Some even use SLOTS instead of holes, allowing them to be used with any arrangement of four-hole or five hole-drums. Of course, that can cause them to be mounted off-center and even a tiny bit of that will trash your front end, since the eccentricity appears as a massive imbalance.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Veeduber

14mm x 1,5 = 14mm bolt shank, 1,5mm thread pitch (distance from the top of one thread "peak" to the next)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

1 out of 2 ain't bad Wade ;)

1.5 = thread pitch, 1 being fine and 2 being coarse, as an example.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

ETKA says that

5-bolt models have M12 x 1,5 x 13 and 4-bolt models have M14 x 1,5 x 19.

I think the M-standard also includes the thread pitch and also deepness and shape of the threads. The 19 is the length of the threaded part of the bolt. The M12 has by default 1,75 thread pitch and M14 has by default 2,00 thread pitch. These bolts however have finer pitch (1,50 mm).

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Oh well... Learn something new everyday... :-)

-Wade H.

Reply to
Wade Hasbrouck

Metric threads are specified by the OD of the thread and the "advancement" or spacing between turns, again in mm. The threads above are more properly referred to as M14 x 1.5 and M12 x 1.5.

-

Jim Adney

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:09:57 -0500, Jim Adney left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

Whenever I want to know the size of a nut I just guess at it out loud so that my wife can hear my guess. She tells me another number that's maybe 70-80% of the size I guessed and guarantees me that it's right. She still won't let me in on how she can guess the size of something so accurately. Must be a woman thing. I once looked at the wheel bolts (they're not really nuts) and told her I thought they were about

27mm. She did the standard multiplication and came up with 19mm. Damn! Somehow she was right. I heard the term "inadequate" thrown around but I tried to ignore it. *pitiful expression on face*

-- Travis (Shaggie) '63 VW Camo Baja...

corrodes the vessel that carries it.The statements above reflect my own opinions and experiences and nothing more.I don't pretend to be a professional mechanic, politician, philosopher,attorney, or chiropractor.Take any advice in this post at your own risk, and with a grain of salt."Milk is for babies. Beer is for men." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Reply to
travis

"travis" wrote

Sounds like you'd make a great fisherman. "Yeah, I caught one this big."

:oD

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H.