Re: Beepless - What goes on in that crazy steering column?

> Hi folks, I've got a horn question, and would appreciate any input. I have a > '68 beetle, and the horn > hasn't worked since I bought it. I've been reading up on why exactly, and I > think I understand how the circuit works. The hot wire from the fuse box > goes to the horn, and then the ground wire from the horn attaches to the > steering column, making it 'hot'. Then when you press the horn button, you > connect the ground wire which comes up through the column to the column, and > your car frightens others off the road ;-) > > I have tested the horn but touching the ground wire from the horn to a > ground, and the horn sounds. I have also checked that the wire coming up > through the steering column is a good ground. If I connect these two wires, > the horn goes beep. The problem is I am not sure how the wire attaches to > the column making it hot. Does anyone know what color the wire is that > attaches to the steering column (along with the cluster of wires, not > inside)? There is a brown wire which looks like it should work, but seems to > be permanantly grounded, no good. Can anybody think of a reason why that > wire may be grounded? I was thinking maybe the plastic insulator between the > column might be missing? Does anybody know how to get at it? > > Thanks in advance for reading all this, and thanks in advance for any > opinions. > > Ben

Yes, that's exactly how it works!

The horn ground wire (Brw) attaches to the very bottom of the steering column outer tube. That is underneath the fuel tank and hard to get at. It's possible the push-on has become corroded.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Further to Speedy's post, check the short wire, if you can get at it, that bridges the U-joint just above the steering gear box. The push-on connectors might need shining up a little.

Bobby

Benjam>

Reply to
Bob Johnson