Help with cam choice please?

Ok,

I would like to hear comments on two cams that are currently ocupying storage space in my garage.

I'm building a weekend toy for street use, but it will also see some twisty track racing. (not 1/4 mile)

Which one should I go with, and why?

1) Eagle 46: 314 degrees advertised duration, 11,48mm lift ( .452" )

2) Engle W130: 308 degrees advertised duration, 10,64mm lift ( .419" )

3) custom made, any spec: give your recommendations for a race cam that pulls strong from 3000 to 7000

The engine will be built with stock ratio rockers. ( 1.1:1 )

Other engine specs:

Stroke: 78mm Bore: 90.5mm Rod: longer than stock Scat rod Pistons: forged B type, intended for 82mm stroke Heads: 40mm intake, 35.5 exhaust (relatively small, for better low end ) Valves unshrouded somewhat (not going to sacrifice compresison and squish area too much) and these have long reach plugs.

Compression will be high, haven't decided yet but if I say 11:1 then we are close. (we have high octane pump gas, and this baby could also get racing gas...:)

Rev limiter will be set to something like 8000 just in case, at least during break-in period ;)

I should say that we routinely build 1641cc engines that rev up to 9500 and 10,000 rpms and produce 150-160hp... and compression ratio can be as much as 13:1 (custom made cams). I'm targeting something like this, but BIGGER, and slightly tamed for street use.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Been studying on this and thinking about my options and experience with the (restricted by rules) race engines, and I'm leaning towards the 308 degree (mildest option of the three) for this street driven engine. With lower compression ratio, maybe around 10:1. Can't waste money and time on experimenting, I want to drive the thing without teardowns. I guess I'll go the easy route and lose some horses. . Talk me out of it and tell me the hotter cams would work well too, mid range upwards. The longer stroke should help low end.

Jan

Reply to
Jan