I have to ask, whats best engine size for towing?

What would be the best size engine in a beetle to tow with? I was asked about building a motor for a bug that gould be used to tow jet skies. I'm figuring
that it would not only have to handle towing the jet skies but also a few people and a cooler full of beer. Or would doing a tranny change be a better idea with a good stock 1600?
Mario
Could, could, could and could, sorry beat you to it Tim
Mario
On 08 Sep 2004 23:40:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kafertoys) wrote:

Ford 302 small-block.
--
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.

I can't argue with that, it was the v6 that was in the ford rangers untill Budget stopped renting them out, thinking I might have to go back to the new malibu's myself.
Mario
(Kafertoys) wrote:

about
figuring
better
Or a Chevy 350:
http://www.vintagevw.net/images/classp1.jpg
--
Malcolm

thats one nice car
Mario
(Kafertoys) wrote:

Hey that was the show up in Montgomery this year wasn't it?
Mac
On 08 Sep 2004 23:40:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kafertoys) wrote:

Motor aside, what about the frame (or lack of)?
I've seen tow hitches that bolt to the bumper and run a thin walled tub down under the motor to the tranny mounts. So what kind of tongue weight can that do? Jack shit!
I've seen modified Uhaul type hitches that bolt to the bumper mounts and have a crossbar with the ball mount in the middle. Even if it was a modified class2 hitch, the mount point for the bumpers is still weak. That isn't a frame point, it's the body. The nearest frame point are the shock mounts which is the most rear point where the body bolts to the frame.
Maybe someone, someday will make a real hitch that can handle 300lbs of tongue weight and 3000lbs gross.
I have some ideas how to fab one, and it's on my todo list for my `73.
--
David Gravereaux < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com>
[species: human; planet: earth,milkyway(western spiral arm),alpha sector]

I'm sure you haven't seen one like I have and its for sale. its a nicely bent 4" pipe that has end plates that mount to the bumper braces on the body. it seems to be something that would hold up real well as a bumper and I don't know what the bug was used to tow but I could ask the past owner, but it being a local car here in central NC bet what ever it towed had an out board engine.
Mario
On 11 Sep 2004 23:15:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Kafertoys) wrote:

Maybe it was a pig-roaster. That's the only thing I ever towed with the LCB. You know us stupid rednecks here in NC. We all own pig-roasters, guns, and moonshine stills.
--
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.

it could have been a pig roaster, tell me shaggie you have never imagined an engine on your pig roaster for any reason functional . lol
Mario

um I might have some that would give your beetle a few extra HP...lol ...stop by shaggie if you need some.
Mario
"Shaggie" wrote ...

And jon boats .... don't forget jon boats.
I miss mine:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/sdcvw/Super%20Beetle/bugandboat1a.jpg
-- Scott
David Gravereaux wrote:

I just gave away a late model (68 and up) bug tow hitch. Made by Kovil, the number 1 manufacturer out in my part of the world. All solid one piece construction, attaches to the bumper bracket mounting holes and still allows use of stock bumper brackets. I don't think I have any pics, but it was simple enough for me to draw a picture if anyone is interested.
Meets all the strictest safety requirements. Some years back we werent allowed to fab our own hitches, they all had to be factory made and safety approved by the big brother.
Now we can make hitches for older cars without permit. I have made one for a 78 Dodge pickup, I copied a Kovil design from a Chevy. :)
Jan
"David Gravereaux" wrote ...

My '72 Type 1 owner's manual rates it for 880lbs total trailer weight and 55 to 90lbs tongue weight.
-- Scott
Hi.A 1776 has always been my favorite T1.Not too radical to be dependable but fast enough to be fun.Now put it in a Ghia or buggy and enjoy!

about
figuring
better
Stock TIV 1700/1800 or 2000 - pushes a 4k pound bus along ok. Just need to conver it to upright cooling.

about
figuring
better
Kafertoys wrote:

Mario,
I'd build it big, with a very mild cam, and using thiiiiick wall cylinders. A stock 69mm crank would work great (keeping costs down) because you wouldn't be revving it high. If money is not an object, then a stroker crank would be on the shopping list. Meaning a couple of steps more work and details, more difficult engine to put together if you haven't done many before. (I would think you have, but I am going through some very basic issues here for the benefit of other readers)
Also keep the valve size relatively small, as well as intake port diameter and carb venturies. Small passages flow more aggressively at lower revs, and this wont be a high rpm screamer. You lose top end ponies but gain low end torque and driveability.
Compression ratio of course is a big factor, and is mostly dependant on the cam.
I guess my choice for this purpose would be something like 78x90.5 with a W110 cam (no bigger) and run 8.5:1 compression ratio with good high octane fuel.
That's a good healthy 2007cc with over 120hp and tonnnns of torque. Will last forever too, and you can let your mother drive it, it would run as smooth and easy as any modern day car. (Assuming the carbs and ignition are built and tuned right).
Plus at this performance level you have the luxury of building a very quiet exhaust system, and you can use boxed (quiet) air cleaners for the carbs too.
Just my opinions of course.
Jan
Hi Jan.What carbs would you use on an engine that big to get a smooth,dependable motor?Distributor?I agree with the cam,maybe even going to a 120(in a bug or ghia).Any idea on MPG.Is this combo based on personal experience?Sorry for all the questions but a dependable,hot-rod Ghia vert is waiting for answers and this O.G. was going 1776(tradition).This ones a keeper so if bigger works affordably why not.Thanks

about
figuring
few
better