Help with parts ID

I was given a front axle from a 1962 Bug, a transmission from a 1962 Bug and a engine S.N. AH064924 with Dual Kadrons.

What I can tell this engine came from a 1973-1974 bug? Is this correct?

Also I was wanting to make a stand to run engines on, out of the car and since all I have are IRS Bugs, was thinking of using this transaxle from the

  1. Would this make a good mount? I would rather have a front section of a Bus tranny but there aren't any places around here that I am aware of that have VW parts. Anyone have one they want to sell or get rid of?

Thanks

Mike Cross

71 Superbeetle 71 Superbeetle parts car 70 Standard

Photos of progress are located at:

Mike Cross

You are CORRECT SIR! (well except for the kadrons)

I don't see why not, you gotta make the larger flywheel fit (like converting to

12v flywheel) . I had a 68' swing tranny collecting dust under my bench awhile back and had it on Samba for months for like 40 bucks. I was just about to cut it up for a that same reason in like a week when someone called on it and came and got it. I'm kinda kicking myself now for selling it cause I could use run-in stand now, but I guess I did help keep another VW on the road though!

Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Thanks for the reply. The tranny and this engine were in the 62 Bug. I guess now I need to figure what flywheel and clutch was used. I did some checking here on being able to tell the difference and what I came up with is:

The 6v flywheel is 109 teeth and is 272mm The 12v flywheel is 130 teeth and is 276mm

Right?

The 6v clutch is 180mm The 12v clutch is 200mm

This would be the diameter of the clutch disc? Right?

If the bellhousing is ground out to fit the larger flywheel then will the pressure plate fit in the bellhousing okay? In other words, all we are concerned about is the diameter of the flywheel not the depth or size of the pressure plate?

And of course the starter bushing. Unless I can find a starter for a Auto, which would be ideal.

Thanks Mike Cross

71 Superbeetle 71 Superbeetle parts car 70 Standard

Photos of progress are located at:

Mike Cross

Pretty much correct.

Right. But that no longer tells you the "voltage". There are 180mm 12V flywheels out there, in my country they outnumber the 200mm 12V flywheel 10 to 1.

Yes.

Pressure plate will not interfere with the tranny case, no matter what.

The pressure plate must be compatible with the type of throw-out bearing however. Pressure plates should have the center ring (it's detachable and many came without) if used with teh older type (like your 62) throw out bearing. Otherwise the pressure plate would sit too far away for the TO bearing to meet where it was designed to meet with it. It would still work, but not as good as it should.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Also, just to confuse you, the 66 bus was 6v and used a 200 mm clutch.... So that means there are at least 4 stock flywheels out there: 6v 180mm stepped, 6v 180mm o-ring, 6v 200mm o-ring, and 12v 200mm o-ring.

Reply to
Karl

Thanks Jan,

Seems like the more I learn, I also find out how much I don't know. But that to me is what makes this hobby very interesting.

Thanks again,

Mike Cross

71 Superbeetle 71 Superbeetle parts car 70 Standard

Photos of progress are located at:

Mike Cross

that means there are at

o-ring, and 12v 200mm

And to continue your list:

12V 180 O-ring 12V 215 O-ring (Bus type 1)

Then there's a few type 4 flywheels but we can skip those here.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

De nada.

Seemingly simple and unchanged mechanical parts that stayed virtually unchanged for what, 5 decades? Yet when you go to the very fine details, you will learn that each and every model year was different. Even if the part "fits", it doesn't mean it would make the entity function properly.

Parts interchangeability is remarkable between cars from any decade, but it isn't 100% and you learn these by stumbling on the various "snags" in the hobby as you go along. Hope I can help people avoid a few by sharing my own experiences. Wasn't always fun learning everything the hard way. But it's MY way :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

................By this time next year, everything's gonna be Kidd's 'way'.................lol

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hahahahaha

haha....

hahahaha...

hehehehehe....

heh..

hmm.

.

She better make me think I'm still in charge. ;)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

..................I've been thinking that for so long that I almost believe it.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Tim Rogers" wrote

I used to have a way but everybody was always getting in it, so I got rid of it.

-- Scott

Reply to
Scott H
12V 215??? What year bus? Here in the USA, 71 was the last year upright 1600 and it was 200. 72/73 1700 type 4 was 210. 74/75 1800 type 4 was 215. 76-83.5 2.0L type 4 was 228.

A while back someone was looking for a 12V 210 type 1 flywheel and I thought they were nuts...

that means there are at

200mm o-ring, and 12v 200mm
Reply to
Karl

The 1600 dual port engine was offered as a low budget option from the factory well into the late 70's in europe. I'd even say that MOST buses were 1600 type 1. Taxation in many european countries made it uneconomical to buy vehicles with large engines. And the buses were TOOLS, bought to haul stuff around. Not sports cars. :)

Jan

Karl wrote:

and it was 200.

they were nuts...