SIII Front axle Stuck!! help!!

I have noticed the the front wheels are not being driven when 4wd is selected on my 1973 Series three SWB Ugh!?

I have now stripped the front axle in order to see why, the short axle side is fine no problem found but the long side is not so well. The long axle is stuck inside the spider gears of the front diff. If moved around the axle can still engage and move the diff/driveshaft showing that the axle is not broken but to pull on the axle stops any rotation and won't withdraw any more than 1cm. Levering the axle with crowbars and yanking with chains has not moved it making me believe that the end of the axle is mushroomed or the splines are very gnarled.

I'm wondering if anybody has had this happen to them or come across this problem before. Is there a way to remove the diff with an axle still in place (logic tells me no but I'm truelly stuck). How would you apply the considerable pressure required to dislodge the axle.

Can any one shine a light?

TIA Phil the Kiwi

Reply to
Bilbo Baggins

From what you say above, it dosn't sound like the lack of drive was an axle problem. It could be that the shafts that lock the 4wd in the transfer box have become gummed up. To check this, remove the little tin cap (2 screws if I remember right) on the front of the transfer box and move the red knob backward and forwards. The two shafts under the cover should reciprocate (one in, one out). If they don't, give them a good clean until they do - you may need some mole gips (with a suitable bit of rubber to prevent scoring) to give them a helping hand until they do.

Back to your axle problem..... I would guess that the splined bit on the end of the half-shaft is twisted and/or the splines have a big step in them due to wear. If you can't pull it out then you can't get the diff out - Catch 22! If it really wont come out then the only thing I can think of would be a bit drastic - re-assemble it, get the 4wd working, put it in 4wd and drive around on tarmac until it snaps - obviously hoping that the half-shaft breaks before anything else............

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

If you strip the short side to the extent of removing the shaft. you should be able to get a suitable small diameter bar on to the end of the shaft to drive it out. As an additional suggestion - and maybe use both ideas, if you unbolt the chromed sphere from the axle housing, leverage between these flanges will pull on the shaft - and if you can get a centimetre you should be able to get a nut in the space, giving you the ability to apply pressure with six bolts. Add this to your other techniques you have tried, and being able to use impact on the end, you may be able to move it. There is a possibility that both the lack of drive and the unmoveable axle may be due to a broken diff centre, probably either the cross shaft broken or a split planet gear or both, which has burred the end of the shaft. The driving by hand may be locking by broken pieces. You may ultimately have to cut the front diff pan off and see what the problem is, possibly taking to the axle and or diff centre with an oxy torch. JD

Reply to
JD

Thanks Richard I'll have a look at the transfer box today and hopefully find the problem. Cheers Phil the Kiwi

Reply to
Phil Hubbard

Thanks JD that idea of using the swivel ball as a puller is a ripper I'm going to give it a go now. Cheers Phil the Kiwi

Reply to
Phil Hubbard