how do i fix the hood latch?

i have a 69 bug and the lever in my glove box wont open the front hood. i think its the wire or its hooked wrong, but is there a diagram i can look at in order to fix it?

Reply to
69vwdude

Look at the left side of the glove box, next to the lever. There should be a hole there with a screw head in it. This screw is often left out which leaves the lever assembly supported ONLY by the paper glove box.

If this screw is missing it means that you don't have good leverage on the cable AND that you are destroying your glove box. Replace that screw now.

If the screw is there then the problem is elsewhere.

If you can get the hood open, check the wire at the hood latch end. Early wires had a plastic covering (in addition to the plastic sleeve they run in.) If this covering is cracked it can catch on the plastic sleeve. If there is a crack there, just strip off the plastic covering (NOT the stationary sleeve!)

-

Jim Adney

-i can open my hood without using the lever.. is this a problem?

Reply to
69vwdude