HOLY MACKEREL!

The day before yesterday I made the best score of my life. In the local wantads there is this ad online tues. night(the paper copy comes out wed. afternoon) for " 2- 1970 beetles, many extra parts $250" I couldn't wait to call Wed. am to see whats the story. So I started working on my wife to let me spend the 250 on another VW and she says "no way" so I keep working on her to at least go look and she finally says "OK we'll look but we aren't buying anything because we really don't have the money" So anyway........ I call wed. and it sounds like it might be a good deal so we check it out. It turns out the owner is an older fella who's owned the bugs since 74 and has a huge garage full of parts(like 6 pickup truckloads full) My wife even said, Holy crap! I figured it must be a misprint and the real cost is $2500 but no the price is really 250 he just wants to clean out his sheds to starta shitaake mushroom business or something. No dickering I could'nt give him my money fast enough but I only had 50 so ask my wife can we get it.....pleeeeaasseeee? So come to find out she had already taken out 200 from the bank! sweet there is little to no rust on either car and he has removed the bodies from the frames and sandblasted 1 body and primed replaced or repaired the pans and undercoated both frames the other body has some rot on the rockker panels buy he has brand new replacement panels. There is a ton of new and used parts to complete both cars, but it's like a giant vw puzzle.Many things he has removed from both cars and purchased 2 new parts, 1 for each. There is also 6 engines 2 of which are supposed to be freshly rebuilt. So I'm excited. I have a 71 weekender that I've been keeping alive for about 8 years, but I almost feel like I might be in over my head. I'm hoping I can rely on you guys for help in the near future so my first question is......

After I get all this stuff home, anybody got any advice on where to start??

Reply to
Craig or Meg Phalen

well first of all... you da man! That's a score!

I'd just organize and take a bunch of pictures... and then figure out what parts would benefit your weekender, and what parts are for project #2 and #3... and/or figure out what you need, and what you want to give back to the vw community from a 'code of the school yard' perspective.

Make sure you have room for the stuff and dont don't invest in storage unless its a really good idea... I paid $60 a month to store a toolbox i paid 40 bucks for along with some old computers and spare vw parts.... i would have been better off getting rid of all of it and starting over than paying to keep it.

lane

Reply to
Lane Jennison

Where are you located?? Any Ghia stuff? Eric

Reply to
Stutzsr

eBay,................Start takin pictures as soon as you can, and start posting all the stuff for sale.

It's gonna consume your entire space,..............I will post pitures soon on my new house and what the VW parts look like against the haouse, the fence, piled up in the garage,.............and everywhere else.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Craig, the best place to begin is to sit down and relax. Next, tell me where you live as I feel you need some help with the problems this old man saddled you with. I will help you sort through and get rid of the items that you have more than one of since this is the the first sign of "VW compulive hoarding disorder" which as you might guess can be a life-long problem. Rebuilt engines are just "bad seeds" that bear sour grapes. Let me know where you are and pray until I arrive ( I will too). Dennis

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Inventory all of it box bag and sort. if you gonna be picking stuff up by the truckload, maybe the guy won't mind if you sort of do that there (like take a load of engine/parts, then interoir parts etc..) Sounds like you got a great deal, but a storage nightmare! You gotta barn or anything like thats empty? Stuff goes to hell quick when it outside. Remeber that you can now easily make your $ back (probably even double, triple) if what you say that there is in good useable shape. and still have enough to build a car for yourself!

Good luck Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

Aren't you special. Good score! I'm jealous. Any straight passenger doors hanging around that you don't need that might fit a '73 Beetle???

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Reply to
Craig or Meg Phalen

Today I went and picked up 3 loads of stuff. It's to early to say what all it is even though it's sorted pretty well. As it turns out there are actually 7 upright engines(mostly complete) and 1 pancake. Todays haul consisted of one truckload of seats front amd back mostly OK but maybe two sets of assorted colors with no rips and 2 loads of engines, trannys, rims, glass and like 15 - 20 assorted mystery buckets and milkcrates. There is even an old wooden steering wheel for a bug I don't know if it's original or noy but it's cool (for now I'm going to hang it by my bed)

Unfortunately it doesn't look like there are any ghia parts(it's still early) and I haven't gotten to the pile of body panels yet but I'll let you know.

Monday I hope to fill the truck and trailer again and hopefully later on in the week get the actual cars home. I'll keep you all posted.

Reply to
Craig or Meg Phalen

I hate you. ;)

Reply to