How hard is to work on a type 4?

A few weeks ago, I just finished my first engine split on a type 1. The head replacement went perfectly. Everything is really easy, as long as you follow the manuals. The type 1 is a simple engine IMHO.

But what about the type 4? I got a 1800 (i think) Fuel injected engine from a late model bus for free. The Only problem with the engine (yes, it runs) is that the pulley bolt broke off in place, (don't ask me how) so there's no pulley or cooling. I can drill the screw out, and in the worst case scenario I'll just replace the crankshaft. but I'd also like to convert the thing to carburetion and check her inside out. Is it too difficult for a total newbie to do this? How about the costs of an engine overhaul?

TIA, Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

I have had teh engine together and on the road for 2 years or so, but haven't had time to update my site. Currently you can find some onfo on the engine case and whatever.

Note the warning about overtightening the "sump" bolt/nut at the bottom of the case. It doesn't take much torque to snap a piece of cam bearing saddle off. And then you're screwed. (I figured out a fix for that, of course... lol)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

it's not any more difficult (especially if it's already out of the car), it's just different - and type 4 parts cost more.

Reply to
The Queen of Cans and Jars

Go to my site

and then to my favorite links. Type IV secrets unvailed is a great site for facts and info. Hay read my site first.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa

Reply to
ilambert

Id keep the EFI.

Reply to
Erik Litchy

Why would you keep the FI?

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Not only *why* would you keep the FI, but how would you hook it up??? I've always wanted to put 4 mukinis on a pancake engine. Should be *easy* to do if you got 4 good carbs off of a large bike as well as the throttle cable that goes with them. You could use the stock intake runners or those that come with a carb conversion (just spread them out a tad). ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver