How long Do AutoZone Batteries last?

Hi! I bought an AutoZone battery and installed it on 5-28-02. I think it is time for a new one. With the headlights on, foot on brake pedal/stop lights on, and turn signals on, sometimes the turn signals will not blink. After charging the battery I repeat the same procedure and the turn signals blink or cancel like they should. I charged the battery last month and now I am having to charge it again. I think the battery may not be holding a charge. I checked the v-belt and it was not loose. My voltmeter indicates about 14 volts showing that the battery is being charged when I am driving. It may be because I only drive it about 10 miles two or three times a week and the battery does not have a chance to get completely recharged after starting the engine. Before it gets cold out, I think I am going to pork it over for a Sears Die Hard Weather Handler battery, $59.95 dollars US or so as compared to $39.95 for an AutoZone battery. Would you guys recommend that I replace the battery for more reliability? Thanks! Any help is appreciated! jplikesm73vwbttl

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

Is this while the car is running? If so, that's not a battery problem.

Sure! It sounds like you equate "more expensive" with "better." So if I were you I'd buy the more expensive battery!

Sears batteries are manufactured by Exide. Autozone's are manufactured by Johnson Controls. Exide's warrantycosts/sales ratio is 2.3%. Johnson Controls' is 0.2% for last year. So you're only about 12 times more likely to need to bring the Sears battery back.

Until the mid/late '90's Sears bought their batteries from Johnson Controls. In a bid to save money Sears started using Exide. .Autozone took over Johnson Controls production from Sears. IOW...Autozone Duralast Gold=old Sears Diehard Gold etc from the mid nineties on.

Personally, my 6 year warranty(one of their cheaper ones) autozone battery has lasted over 7 years. Still working too.

Have them test it. They'll do it for free and/or charge it. I mean, I know that old VW's don't have electrical problems or anything...but.... ;-)

Just remember *you* said "any help is appreciated"!

(I do hope this helps. Many times it is a crapshoot. Batteries are like anything else...you get good ones, you get bad ones. The guys at autozone have been pretty straight with me so far. I know people don't want to believe that there is something wrong with their baby but "short happens"! I've brought the battery I mentioned above in three times, they've charged it, tested it, I left, pissed...then I found the problem. And I've been working on the damn things for years.)

Reply to
zamboni30000

Ever since I misconnected some wires when replacing the turn signal lever on my 70 bug, the blinker has been odd. It works fine for making the actual lights blink but the indicator in the speedo only blinks when the engine is reving somewhat. I'm guessing that some bimetal conducter in the blinker got warped when it was misconnected so it doesn't quite work the way it should. Anyhow, since the actual turn signal lights blink properly I haven't worried about it really.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I have had two problems like that before. The first time was the straps being corroded and shot (both the battery to bolt and the underneith strap to trans). The second was the fan belt itself being to loose.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

If you really want a battery that will last get a Interstate battery. End of subject............tony

Reply to
Brenda

...manufactured by Johnson Controls on the same assembly line, but with different plastic colors (if that;'s important to you) as autozone, advance, and others' batteries. (Contrary to what I said before, they *are* now supplying Sears now after massive lawsuits because of Exide batteries.)

"Johnson Controls is the world?s largest manufacturer of lead-acid automotive batteries, with the leading market share in North America and Europe. In the U.S., Johnson Controls supplies original equipment batteries to DaimlerChrysler, Ford, Honda, Nissan and Toyota. The company supplies private-label aftermarket batteries for Advance Auto, AutoZone, Costco, Interstate Battery System of America, Pep Boys, Sears, Wal-Mart and others. In Europe, the company manufactures original equipment automotive batteries for BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Ford, PSA, Volkswagen and other automakers. It is a major supplier to the European independent aftermarket, including customers such as Robert Bosch GmbH, hypermarkets such as Carrefour, and wholesalers. Johnson Controls also manufactures the Optima spiral-wound automotive battery, available worldwide."

Usually interstate costs a little more because the brand isn't usually sold by discount chains, usually service stations, garages and independents.

Again, if paying more makes you feel better...go ahead.

Reply to
zamboni30000

well that kinda tells me that the "DISCOUNT CHAINS" buy the cheapest crap and the service stations and garages and independents know there batteries.. tony

Reply to
Brenda

Hint-- Don't go by what is in the little book as to what battery size to buy. Get the largest one with the biggest cranking amps that will fit under your seat. I found they cost the same, well at least at Costco they do. keep it clean, and in a battery box. Believe it or not they discharge through he case. Also if not being used for a while get a Battery Tender Or Battery Pal. Very low milliamp charge keeps the battery topped up. When the battery tender is not in use on my bug I keep it on a spare battery in my garage. When we had a black out I hooked the spare battery up to a 12v floursent light and it worked for 2 nights till the power went back on. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali Next Generation-usa