How to tell a flywheel?

A question got me this wekend while installing the starter in my 61. I obviously have a 6 volt starter, and it fits perfectly.

But I have an engine of unknown vintage lined up for instalation in that car. How can I tell if it has a 6 volt or a 12volt flywheel easily?

Thanks.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

See the 6V/12V article on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Thanks Jim... one more question:

from your site:

NOTE:  The 6 Volt flywheel will fit on the 1600 crank but the later

12 Volt flywheel won't fit the earlier 1200 crank! Be sure to check the crank end-play if you swap flywheels.

This means a flywheel from a 1960 36hp will fit a 12volt crank?

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

No, those cranks were completely different. Any of the 40HP 1200cc ones will fit.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim