How to tell a 6v from a 12v transaxle

I am searching for a 12v swingarm transaxle. What is the easiest way to tell a 6volt from a 12volt transaxle? I have run across a bunch of

6v, but have to rely on the guy selling them and want to make sure I end up with a 12v core.
Reply to
Gary Kent

I don't exactly know, but if it has the thow out bearing guide sleeve, it probably is a 12v transaxle. Anyway, a 6v transaxle can be easilly converted to be used with 12v flyweels.

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 17:23:36 +0300, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" ran around screaming and yelling:

but none of the swingaxle trannies should have the guide sleeve....at least in the USA... j

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I've seen many later swingaxle trannies here in Greece (imported from Brasil), that had the later T.O. bearing guide sleeve and came with a stronger differential (10 tooth spider gears, 15 tooth side gears, 8 bolt ring gear, in the 4.375:1 ratio). Don't know if they are available in the US though.

Bill, '67 bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 11:20:59 +0300, "Bill Spiliotopoulos" ran around screaming and yelling:

we here in the US had no swingaxle bugs imported after the 68 model year, and no guide sleeves till i believe 71....so unless they came across our southern border(Mexico) then we shouldn't have any swings with the sleeve... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Howdy....

6v into 12v============== I JUST installed a 6v tranny w/12v....

Pick up the 6v tranny... then have him throw in a 6v starter, 6v flywheel,

6v clutch and 6v pressure plate.... It's all a simple swap out... I'm an idiot (have many witnesses... took about 20 minutes for the retorfit)

I like 6v starters in 12v cars... you can find 6v starters all day long at swap meets for $5... the they REALLY turn when you start.

12v into 6v======== If you do this hybird setup... you have to grind away some of your tranny belhousing... make sure you have the correct flyweel for your starter... then guess (basically) if you have the correct pressure plate.... I've done this one and more work... parts are more expensive.

Guide Bushing ======== I just got off the phone with Jake Raby.... it's post 71 IRS trannies in the US that have the bushing guide.

Guess my vote would be to make the switch right at the bolt... swap the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, starter and tranny all to 6v.

MN AirHead

another posibility: I took the starter to a local shop with an old owner. he swapped the pinnion of my 6 volt startet with a 12 volt one for US$15, pinnion included...

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

The shafts aren't the same diameter. I hope he changed the bushings in the pinion, because otherwise it will be too loose on the shaft. $15 seems too cheap to include replacing bushings AND the pinion AND installation.

-

Jim Adney

3rd world labor and brazilian parts... what he did is to keep the shaft and adapt the pinnion... seems like late brazilian pinnions can be clearanced to be used on 6v shafts... (pinnion came from a 1981 12v brazlian starter)

labor down here is very cheap. opening the motor for cleaning and checking costed me another US$8. A generator rebuild is less than US$20 including bearings and brushes.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski