Hub cap clip questions

Hi, y'all. I ordered a set of hub cap clips for my '64 and today I was looking at them. Here's a picture of them:

'm not sure how to attach them. Do I need a rivet gun of some sort?What you see in the picture is all that was in the bag. I mean thereare 3 more of them than you can see in the picture, but that's it.Was there supposed to be some kind of backing for the rivets? I'dlike to get these installed but am not sure how to go about doing itthe right way. I'm sure I could get some small machine screws withflat heads on them and some nuts to fit them and attach these clipsthat way, but am curious to know if there's a simple and correct wayto attach them that I don't know about. Thanks in advance forresponses.

Reply to
Shag

"Shag" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

You have to put the rivet through the clip and rim and then flatten the back with a hammer so it won´t come loose. I did mine years ago. I used an old bold M12 which came from the steering frame. Drilled a little hole on the top where the threads are so the top of the rived would be seated in there when you smack the back. I remember it was a bit hard balancing the rim on just one bold but doable.

Luck, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...

Hmmm... OK, I'll give that a try. I thought it might be something like that, but I put one of the rivets down on the concrete floor of the garage and smacked the crap out of it with a hammer and it didn't even ding the rivet so I thought that must not be the way to do it. Hmmm...

Reply to
Shag

I remember them from school metal shop - proppa riviets !

we used a tool that looked like a large center punch that was dished out at the end.

Put the tool in the vice, the round end of the rivet sits on the tool. rivet goes through the hole (duh ! ) then with a peining(sp) hammer (the round side) spread the flat end of the rivet out.

pretty much how they used to make ships - but smaller :-)

Reply to
Tricky

John Henry replaced those on his 57...

dragenwagen

Hmm.... Thanks... Looks like a royal pain in the butt... I just threw away an old arbor press like the one John Henry used to put his clips on... I was not using it and it was just taking up space so when we moved... out it went. Ugh. I'll figure something out... Hmmm....

Reply to
Shag

Stainless steel pop rivets maybe?

Jan

Reply to
jan.m.andersson

I added this on my "to do list" on google this morning after seeing what a pain in the butt it looked like to do this "the right way": buy pop rivet tool and 3/16" rivets :-)

Reply to
Shag

EPILOGUE: I picked up some steel 3/16" rivets and a heavy duty pop rivet tool from the local Ace Hardware store after work today. Took about 10 minutes to jack up the car, remove the wheel, pop-rivet on 4 clips (there was one clip still in place), replace the wheel, and very snugly pop on the hub-cap. That worked out real nice. I feel better now with all 4 hubcaps in place. :-D

Reply to
Shag

I think I speak for everyone when I say I think you have earned your hubcap clip install badge.

Hooray! :D

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Thank you. Thank you all. I'd like to thank my wife and kids for the inspiration, and the helpful store associate at Ace Hardware for pointing out the pop-rivet gun thingie to me. Believe in yourself, and all things are possible! Please, please! No applause! Just send money! :-P

Reply to
Shag

To hubcap or not to hubcap, zhat iz zhe question!

J.

Reply to
Berg

42