I want a Notchback

Hello again,

Seems I never post anything until I need help. So I'll pose this rambling question, which is not an emergency help question...more like a theoretical question. :)

I have a 74 Ghia Vert, in very nice condition (minus what I mentioned in my other post). I drive it maybe 3 or 4 times a month, and every time, it cranks right away. When it does not, its usually a battery problem. In other words, this car has given me no problems whatsover.

And what do I do? I keep it covered for the majority of the time. It just sits in my driveway, not being driven by anyone, anywhere. I'm sure it's sad. As I mentioned, it's a convertible, so I have to wait until its not raining (which was very few days this summer) to really enjoy it. And Fall is really the best time to enjoy a convertible.

I feel like if I had a non convertible VW, I would drive it so much more. I don't want a beetle (I wouldn't mind having an older beetle, but I want something that you don't see around much, like my ghia--I think I'm the only one in town with a vert.).

Which leads me to the notchback. Sure, I'd rather have a Type III Ghia, but that's not going to happen. I can't afford that. I figure I could sell my Ghia, get a really good notchback, and still have money to spare for college. But I know the minute I do it, I'll want the Ghia back.

This Ghia is literally the first one I ever laid eyes on, purchased from the "little old lady" who lives up the street. And I'm not treating it like I should.

Anyways, there are questions here...What can I expect to pay for a really nice notchback (not showroom, but great exterior, decent interior--I realize this is a loaded question). Also, where can I find one? I live in Southern VA, so pretty much VA and NC are open. I do not want a lowered, cal-look notch that is fairly common. I want stock. I'd really like to get it as close to home as possible so I can get my mechanic to take a look at it before I buy it. And finally, and this is probably most important...How do you folks, who frequently sell one car to get another, deal with the loss of a car?

Thanks for listening,

John

Reply to
John T. Barbour

John,

Look at thesamba.com to find a notch. They come up fairly often. You could expect to pay anywhere from 4k to 8k depending on year, condition, & originality. You might pick one up a bit cheaper, but not much. $4500-$5k would be a good low-end price. They are nice, but be careful about rust due to the unibody construction. Expect to pay another $600-900 for shipping. thesamba.com is the place for just about anything (split window buses, ovals, etc). - DB

Reply to
DB

I know of a clean fastback for sale... not sure about the engine... $1100.. not on ebay or samba.

Reply to
MN AirHead