Idle question in re chokes on Kadrons

This is a general question pertaining to the new dual Kadron carbs I just had installed on my 71 bus, which runs great, by the way and many thanks to those who urged me to go that direction.

I was told ahead of time that the new carbs would not have chokes but considering the mild weather I have around here, it's no biggie, and it's really not.

General Question: what's up with no chokes on carbs like this? Is it because they are intended for the performance market and not the Family Man? Are chokes something you just forego when you get some snazzy new carbs? Or can these kinds of carbs be ordered with chokes?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

As far as I know, Kadrons do not, and never did, have chokes. They were originally designed for the VW-based Puma in Brazil.

That said, I have used Kadrons in all kinds of weather, including temps into the teens. A squirt of throttle was needed to get the engine started and keep it running for about the first minute. Enough time for the heads to warm and transmit some heat into the intake manifolds. Then I could just drive off normally.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Yeah, me, too. I agree that it's not a problem, just wondering if it is a design choice for the carbs (sounds like it is); or just a general characteristic of aftermarket carbs used on veedubs.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Not exactly sure why they never came with chokes, but if you read John Muir's Guide to VW's for the COmplete Idiot, he does not believe in chokes on any carb for the VW. I believe he stated that the extra gasoline could indeed wash some of the oil off of the cylinder walls causing excess wear. He felt, as did the other post here, that all you needed to do was squirt some gas in enough to get it started and the engine warm up would do the rest. I have never needed a choke on my Ghia with Kadrons, but I also do not drive it in cold weather so I couldn't tell you what it's like.

Reply to
Brian Turner

Of course using the accelerator pump to keep the engine running does the same thing, temporarily making the intake charge very rich.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

The aftermarket is focussed on the demographic of todays ACVW driver, which is dominated by the week-end warrior. Suitability of aftermarket carbs (and exhaust systems and any number of other things) for use in an all-weather car just isn't a priority. Your average cal-look ACVW owner jumps in a Honda as soon as it rains or snows. Ya know?

And that is quite understandable, particularly where road salt is used. That article by Peter Egan really hit the mark in that respect.

But keeping an ACVW on the road as one's primary vehicle is quickly becoming an exercise in finding good quality consumables such as valve cover gaskets. Or being able to tell bad advice from good. And tooling up to do many depot-level maintenance tasks for oneself.

It's a sad state of affairs. But the Ford Model A went through the same thing in its waning days.

Reply to
Max Welton

No choke for the Kadrons, and they aren't exactly a 'snazzy new' design, just one very good design that's worked well for a long time. And they aren't the only twin carb setups without chokes, so don't feel shortchanged.

Reply to
jjs

................I must be above average. When it rains or snows, I jump into my 4x4 nissan truck.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Just a little tidbit.

I found in really cold weather my Kadrons were running bad and at one point iced up and stopped working. The temps were below zero F. as low as -10f. The problem was easily solved by replacing the thick aftermarket manifold to head gasket with thin stock metal gaskets. Heat transfer to the carb is the key to cold operation. In hot weather I went back to the thick gasket. With the winter setup I had no problem getting the motor to idle after about a minute of tending. This was on a Baja with the carbs exposed to the weather.

Theo

Reply to
Theo McCormick

Hi.Lots of carbs don't have chokes,mostly performance or racing types.I don't know now but in the G.O.D.s in FV racing the choke and the shaft on 28 pict's went to the can so we could polish the carb throat and attain smoother airflow(I'm sorry all you restorers,youth is wasteful).Lack of chokes shouldn't be much of a problem in So.Cal.Rough but not terrible running for a block or two,but a Westy warms up(motorwise)fast.Below 40F could be a problem,but the throttle plate is almost as good(think open and closed throat).Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

Huh. Not a bad idea. Another idea for Ks on a Baja would be to wrap the manifolds in some sort of thermal wrap.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

tadaaa