Importing Mexican VWs

Can you bring in one without the motor? I've heard quit a few times you can't with a motor but without? Me and a friend are looking for old bugs to fix up. The old days where they were everywhere and free seem to be over. I live in the Ozarks and even here we can't find any free or cheap. Things I've seen in the weeds for years have been hauled out and hidden. So if I were in Mexico what would an old bug cost? I guess I could disguise it as a Mexican and sneak it across the border. That way they would let it in, give it welfare and a place to live while I worked on it.

Reply to
ken

It the safety stuff too that prohibits bring all but antique ones into the country - glass, lights, padded dash.

Why not buy and fix up ol Pontiac Fieros -- they will be the desired car in

5 years.

Yeah - I hauled off and stripped 3 rusty bugs about 3 years ago -- 2 were free and one was $75 (new tites and nice chrome wheels). Heater channels were rusted on all 3 as was the rear parcel shelf -- so metal got recycled.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
bugman1955