Installing Conv. Top with HEAT?

Has anyone who did their own top use a heat gun or something similar to stretch it? Right now I'm about 3-4" 'short'. Will the heat allow stretching of the above amount? How long do I need to heat it?

Reply to
Mel P.

did you use Solar heat first and let it bake in the sun? I would want a more general type heat and not localized heat from the heat gun. Is this a used top or new one? later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

It's been cool in NJ these days. Today the temp got up to 70 deg. Plus I would leave the car out all day topless. The top is new.

Reply to
Mel P.

It is very unusal for a top to be that short. Check invoice for proper year/model. Who was the vendor for this one? What material was used to fabricate? What did the vendor say about your purchase? I would recommend Convertable Specialties for your next one. Cheers, James

Reply to
mira4

General heat over the entire top is the way to go. Plastic windows will crack if folded or unfolded when cold. So will older tops. I don't know about the bug or ghia verts but 3 or 4 inches from the frame to the windshield is not all that far off for a Thing [type 181].

When I was living down in Ga. A buddy of mine warmed his new jeep top up by unfolding it when at room temp and placing it in front of the fireplace. He made sure it didn't get to hot [to hot meaning starting to melt the plastic windows]. But he did get it very warm to the touch. Think of the hottest day of the year & placing it in a nonvert car for 15 minutes with the windows rolled up on a sunny day. That kind of temp should make it pliable enough to work it onto the car.

4play (@\|/@)(.\~/.)
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Reply to
VWGirl

On Ghia's the glass rear window was added in 69 or 70. I ordered my top with the plastic one as an option. Less expensive to replace than the glass window and hardware. The parts are not easy to come by. My intention is the have the top down as much as possible. But I do need to have a working top for rain and storage.

-- Mel P.

77 Std FI Bug & 70 Ghia Cabrio. (being assembled)

PARTS FOR SALE:

Mel P.

Reply to
VWGirl

I used Mothers Plastic Polish on a verts rear plastic window once. It was so dull when I started you might be able to make out some shapes. When I was finished I could clearly see thru it. It still looked good a year later when I sold the Thing...

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

Reply to
VWGirl

I haven't been able to find it anymore... :-(

Reply to
(O\|/O)(.\~/.)

hmmm maybe it's not the mother's brand, but I have seen the stuff at walmart and autozone. It's in a white bottle with blue writing I believe.

I used it on my grandmothers Lincoln and she was amazed at the difference... she was ready to go out and buy new lenses for several hundred $$$ Actually, I took pictures of the lenses before and after... I will have to find those.

VWGirl

Mothers is in a white plastic container with a red label.

difference...

Reply to

I wanna say this was Blue Magic.

Reply to