Insurance

How does one go about insuring a restored VW as a daily driver? Are there companies (please name) that will insure a beautifully restored beetle at least as far as 5 - 6 thousand dollars. I have much more than that in it but that much should cover most accidents. David

Reply to
C7eca

On 25 Jul 2003 18:58:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (C7eca) scribbled this interesting note:

Hard to say. Grundy only likes to insure cars that are used for show and occasional drivers. J.C. Taylor has similar ideas.

Your mileage may vary...

-- John Willis

Reply to
John Willis

Most collector insurance companies have a stipulation that the car NOT be driven for normal purposes (to and from work school, whatever). Some have a limit on miles (2500, 3500 others do not - although none seem to check). I chose Grundy simply for the reason that they have NO mileage limitation and my AAA+ will actually cover towing on my oval. I can drive it as much as I want, I simply cannot drive it to work on a "regular" basis, actually I shouldn't drive it to work at all (I only do once in awhile).

The great thing about classic insurance is that it is an agreed upon value. You can insure it for whatever you want - your premium is based upon they value. I have in fact over insured my car. I figure I could NOT replace it for what I paid, nor have it totally restored for what I paid.

Normal insurance will not do that, you may have 20k in a car, want it insured for (pick a number), but the company will dictate the value (and God forbid you get in a wreck as who knows what they will pay and the whole totalled out deal) on top of that, the cars value will decrease every year.

Lastly, insure a car with a classic company and drive it daily and if it gets damaged you may be totally screwed if the company finds out that you violated the terms of the contract. That could get especially nasty if the accident was your fault and the other party is insured of you totalled the MB S600.

The point is, some one posted a while back (2 months?) about a company they insured their Westy through, it wasn't a typical insurance company and it wasn't a collector company either, but it seemed like some sort of specialty company and sure seemed like a better deal than your typical insurance company for a car that was more of a daily driver. Maybe the person that posted will respond to this thread again. - DB

Reply to
DB