A way to reduce insurance cost

A girl I know (39 years old) asked for an insurance quote (elephant.co or diamond, I forget which she said) for herself, she then asked how much to add an extra driver (50 years old) The quote with two drivers was 50 quid cheaper than her alone! So if you are asking for a quote, try adding on someone older (could even be non existent I suppose) to get a cheaper quote.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Normally is, if they live at the same address in a martial status

Reply to
A C

Like all marriages?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Tai Chi? Or Boxercise?

Reply to
David R

Also depends very much who owns the car. Get the V5 in the older person's name, and even with some claims, it's often cheaper.

Most companies wont let you be the first main named driver on an insurance policy and specify a second driver, who's the registered keeper and/or owner.

Reply to
David R

Lloyds TSB does. Wife is the mail driver and the insurance is in her name, but I'm the registered keeper/owner.

Reply to
The s-Bray

No these are two friends at different addresses !! And they do not ight -)

Reply to
MrCheerful

No the girl is younger and the owner/keeper.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Although some companies do it, it is usually cheaper I've found if the main driver is also the owner/registered-keeper. The insurance companies wonder why you've put the registered keeper of the vehicle to be insured as a named driver, and not the main primary driver. They assume in some cases this is only so you say the person who owns the vehicle is the infrequent driver, to get a cheaper quote.

Most obvious it the case where mum tries to insure her 17 year old son on his car by putting him as a named driver; but with the car in his name, the insurance is still £2000 or so.

Reply to
David R

I've found that too. Added my girlfriend on to my Coupe policy and it knocked around 20% off.

Didn't tell her though... ;-)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

daft question...but do they have to be able to drive?

Reply to
Jules

Seeing one of the questions is usually "Do you have a Full UK Licence", what do you think?

Reply to
Conor

Having a full UK licence doesn't mean you're able to drive. Just look around you. LOL

Reply to
Hooch

I seem to recall they asked various question of her also, one of which must surely have been time that a licence had been held for.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

(elephant.co

well they kepts saying to me it was cheaper if my other half was on, i got a car off ebay so got 7 days free ins with a quote and i just kept saying no, i didnt want a quote with her on....but then forgot to ask did she need a license....i thought cos it meant i was more grown up and settled ...ha never, 2 chicks here, 2 in germany and 1 in Pl. hahahh ok a couple of em drive, but not living on my house

BTW again.....just got another mid 90's bimmer, someone said, hell knows why some car ins co call them classics, so i could get 1 ins that way as a second car....does anyone have any idea which? ta

Reply to
Jules