IRS rubber bushing

How many rubber bushings does an IRS have? It is connected on two sides to the chassis and one side the spring plate (1) has two rubber boot (inter and outer). Do I
also have any rubber on the (2) point?
Top view rear left
| | \ | \ | \ | \ |-----\--- (1) (2)
Joao 72 Super 1302
Joao Eliseu wrote:

There are two bushings at the #2 location as well as the #1 location. Use the 17mm transaxle drain tool to remove the large allen bolt retaining the arm.
Chris

Chris,
I never saw the bushing on the #2 on any website to sell. I'm trying to track why my rear suspension has a different camber and height. I thinking on getting everything apart to reset and replace the bushings. Can I remove the allen bolt to check that bushings, without removing anything else?
Regards
Joao 72 Super 1302
On the trailing arm, there are two bushings on the front end where it attaches to chassis. They are referred to as trailing arm bushings, diagonal arm bushings (or grommets). Wolfsburg West, BFY, and Aircooled.net stock these.
Dane
Joao Eliseu wrote:

Thanks
I found them. I hope that after replacing everything as I did on front cure the problem. To keep the car stable I have to keep my foot on the accelerator and it only has this behavior over 90 km/h. The rear goes from one side to the other when I take the foot from the accelerator. It is not a good feeling when you are at 140 Km/h

Joao 72 Super 1302
Who has already replace ALL the rear bushing on a IRS? Is it a hard work? Did it improve the handeling? I can not find the rubber bushings for the traling arm, only red ones.

Joao 72 Super 1302
I did, didn't make a whole lot of difference.
You can find rubber bushings. Wolfsburg West and BFY Obsolete Parts both carry the rubber ones (which are the ones I used...although I've heard that urethane trailing arm bushings are fine).
Its a pretty big job, taking it all apart. I put on new CV joints, new spring plate bushings, and new rear wheel bearings while I had it apart.
Good luck!
Dane '69 Bug '63 Bug Joao Eliseu wrote:

Joao, I said that changing all of the bushings didn't make that much of a difference....which is true, but the bushings were not in bad condition on my car. If the bushings on your car are worn out, I'm sure you will notice a big difference.
Good luck with it,
Dane '69 Bug '63 Bug
Thanks for your reply. I really don't think that they are too bad. I had one of them replaced a few months ago by a mechanic and I didn't notice a big difference. I have a strange feeling that it is worse and thats why I what to check everything. The car passed the annual inspection so it can be very bad.

Joao 72 Super 1302
Do you have a pic posted of your car anywhere?
Just curious, how is the ride height and what is your suspension setup? How about wheels and tires? My car is bone stock and it handles fine, although I never go faster than 60 or 65 miles per hour. I ask this because I'm curious as to why you have the handling issue you spoke of earlier.
Dane
Joao Eliseu wrote:

That is what I have:
http://tinypic.com/6tizh5.jpg
http://tinypic.com/6tjjti.jpg
http://tinypic.com/6tjkec.jpg
The handing is fine at 60 or 65 miles per hour. May be I push to hard for it. I drive it for 20 years and I know that he had handling better or I drive better cars lately. I notice a big difference on the handling when I replace all in the front. The suspension is stock. The drivers side is 20mm lower and passenger with more negative camber. (185/65 tires on 5.5j rims) Tonight I will take a picture of the rear.

Joao 72 Super 1302
"Who has already replace ALL the rear bushing on a IRS? Is it a hard work? Did it improve the handeling? I can not find the rubber bushings for the traling arm, only red ones. "
I replaced all of the bushings, repacked the CV's, wheel bearings, and replaced the shocks on my 74 super. I found that the fit of the two smaller bushings at the inner pivot point was okay, but the outer urethane spring plate bushings did not fit as well as I had hoped. I would use the rubber bushings there and urethane on the inners.
As for the amount of work....it's a 'friday night' kind of job. However, I would recommend soaking all of the fasteners for the spring plate and the inner pivot bolt(the allen head one) for several days with spray penetrating lube prior to starting work. I soaked mine once a day for an entire week before starting work. Every single fastener came out without a hitch.
Chris

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to get all the information before I start. I now that to keep the some height on both sides I have to turn the torsion bar 4 on inside and 4 on the opposite direction on the spring plate. The camber I don't have any idea. May be it is related with a small crash about 25 years ago. The car was heated against the stroll by a drunk driver and the right rear wheel bend under the car.
Joao 72 Super 1302
FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS if you use the red plastic bushings. They will make you insane from the squeaking if you don't install them properly.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?
The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.
Yep, I have a little squeaking on the front because of them. I think I will but rubber and get the car align
Thanks Joao

Joao 72 Super 1302
I found the trick to be powdered graphite used fairly liberally on the red ones, worked pretty good.