IRS rubber bushing

How many rubber bushings does an IRS have? It is connected on two sides to the chassis and one side the spring plate (1) has two rubber boot (inter and outer). Do I also have any rubber on the (2) point?

Top view rear left

| | \ | \ | \ | \ |-----\--- (1) (2)

Joao

Joao Eliseu

There are two bushings at the #2 location as well as the #1 location. Use the 17mm transaxle drain tool to remove the large allen bolt retaining the arm.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Chris,

I never saw the bushing on the #2 on any website to sell. I'm trying to track why my rear suspension has a different camber and height. I thinking on getting everything apart to reset and replace the bushings. Can I remove the allen bolt to check that bushings, without removing anything else?

Regards

Joao

Joao Eliseu

On the trailing arm, there are two bushings on the front end where it attaches to chassis. They are referred to as trailing arm bushings, diagonal arm bushings (or grommets). Wolfsburg West, BFY, and Aircooled.net stock these.

Dane

Joao Eliseu wrote:

Reply to
Dane Tyler

Thanks

I found them. I hope that after replacing everything as I did on front cure the problem. To keep the car stable I have to keep my foot on the accelerator and it only has this behavior over 90 km/h. The rear goes from one side to the other when I take the foot from the accelerator. It is not a good feeling when you are at

140 Km/h

"Dane Tyler" wrote:

Joao

Joao Eliseu

Who has already replace ALL the rear bushing on a IRS? Is it a hard work? Did it improve the handeling? I can not find the rubber bushings for the traling arm, only red ones.

"Dane Tyler" wrote:

Joao

Joao Eliseu

I did, didn't make a whole lot of difference.

You can find rubber bushings. Wolfsburg West and BFY Obsolete Parts both carry the rubber ones (which are the ones I used...although I've heard that urethane trailing arm bushings are fine).

Its a pretty big job, taking it all apart. I put on new CV joints, new spring plate bushings, and new rear wheel bearings while I had it apart.

Good luck!

Dane '69 Bug '63 Bug Joao Eliseu wrote:

Reply to
Dane Tyler

Joao, I said that changing all of the bushings didn't make that much of a difference....which is true, but the bushings were not in bad condition on my car. If the bushings on your car are worn out, I'm sure you will notice a big difference.

Good luck with it,

Dane '69 Bug '63 Bug

Reply to
Dane Tyler

Do you have a pic posted of your car anywhere?

Just curious, how is the ride height and what is your suspension setup? How about wheels and tires? My car is bone stock and it handles fine, although I never go faster than 60 or 65 miles per hour. I ask this because I'm curious as to why you have the handling issue you spoke of earlier.

Dane

Joao Eliseu wrote:

Reply to
Dane Tyler

Thanks for your reply. I really don't think that they are too bad. I had one of them replaced a few months ago by a mechanic and I didn't notice a big difference. I have a strange feeling that it is worse and that?s why I what to check everything. The car passed the annual inspection so it can be very bad.

"Dane Tyler" wrote:

Joao

Joao Eliseu

That is what I have:

The handing is fine at 60 or 65 miles per hour. May be I push to hard for it. I drive it for 20 years and I know that he had handling better or I drive better cars lately. I notice a big difference on the handling when I replace all in the front. The suspension is stock. The driver?s side is 20mm lower and passenger with more negative camber. (185/65 tires on 5.5j rims) Tonight I will take a picture of the rear.

"Dane Tyler" wrote:

Joao

Joao Eliseu

"Who has already replace ALL the rear bushing on a IRS? Is it a hard work? Did it improve the handeling? I can not find the rubber bushings for the traling arm, only red ones. "

I replaced all of the bushings, repacked the CV's, wheel bearings, and replaced the shocks on my 74 super. I found that the fit of the two smaller bushings at the inner pivot point was okay, but the outer urethane spring plate bushings did not fit as well as I had hoped. I would use the rubber bushings there and urethane on the inners.

As for the amount of work....it's a 'friday night' kind of job. However, I would recommend soaking all of the fasteners for the spring plate and the inner pivot bolt(the allen head one) for several days with spray penetrating lube prior to starting work. I soaked mine once a day for an entire week before starting work. Every single fastener came out without a hitch.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Thanks for the tips. I'm trying to get all the information before I start. I now that to keep the some height on both sides I have to turn the torsion bar 4 on inside and 4 on the opposite direction on the spring plate. The camber I don't have any idea. May be it is related with a small crash about 25 years ago. The car was heated against the stroll by a drunk driver and the right rear wheel bend under the car.

Joao

Joao Eliseu

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS if you use the red plastic bushings. They will make you insane from the squeaking if you don't install them properly.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

If A Quiz is Quizzical, What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been cancelled due to a conflict.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Yep, I have a little squeaking on the front because of them. I think I will but rubber and get the car align

Thanks Joao

MUADIB® wrote:

Joao

Joao Eliseu

I found the trick to be powdered graphite used fairly liberally on the red ones, worked pretty good.