'89 Vanagon w/bad engine...offers?

I'm forwarding this email with the author's permission:

Dear Tim, Last Sunday, August 20th, our ' 89 VW bus broke down in Binghamton,NY. It was towed to Dick's Garage and it appears that one head is leaking water. We found your name on the A.I.R.S. website and are hoping that you or someone you know might be interested in buying our bus. It is a " carat" edition with a table, a backseat that folds down into a double bed and two club chairs that face the back. The body and tires are in very good condition and the water pump and starter are less than a year old. We're looking to find someone who might want to fix it or can get some use out of it for parts before we have to send it to the junk yard. We will gladly answer any questions that would help to find it a good home. Please respond as quickly as possible because we have to make a decision very soon.

Thank you for any help.......Gene Reiss

Please respond by email at: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Tim Rogers

*ahem*

*ahem*

Tim, Tim, Tim. *shakes head* You of all people should know... ;-) Summary: "Our van broke down on us. Who wants to buy it?"

Reply to
Shag

...........This guy's practically ready to give it away. I thought that it would be best to just forward his entire email and let prospective 'buyers' like yourself talk directly with him wherever he is down in Jersey somewhere. In case you're wondering whether you'll be needing to sell that rice rocket, a rebuilt exchange waterboxer shipped and installed would probably run around $3K. If I installed it, you might save about $500 but then you'd have to timeshare that house in NC with me in January when it's below zero up here in frozen tundra land.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

This is The Perfect Candidate for a Subaru 2.2 conversion. KEP (Kennedy Engineered Products) has the special parts that are needed, and instruction sheet, wiring information and for the Californians in the Group, C.A.R.B. certification! This is what the Subey conversion is all about. Mine is a fluke - a cheat on nature so to speak ('79 bus was not watercooled OR computerized {The L-Jetronic "ECU" doesn't count!} but the Subey is what the '89 Carrot shoulda had from the factory! Cost would be similar to what another "Time-Bomb" Wasserboxer would be but without the worry. Get one with

150,000 miles on it, change the oil regularly and expect a totally trouble-free additional 150,000 miles!
These brothers did two conversions inabout 10 days! No previous experience!-BaH
Reply to
Busahaulic

...............Gene said that this one had 180K on it without ever being torn down when it stranded him here in Binghamton. I told him that the last

30 thou was a gift from above...........lol ..........The head seal problem is the only thing that's really wrong with the waterboxer. Otherwise, it's a sturdy and good running engine unless you have a problem with the idea of pushing a 3800 lb. high profile van down the road with only 90 hp.
Reply to
Tim Rogers