It is time for new rims, any suggestions?

I need new rims for my '77 Beetle. I'm looking for a place that sells them preferable with new tires already mounted on them. I need them to be of high quality so they are balanced and true. But I also don't want to get ripped off. Certain companies overcharge like Mid America Motorworks. But then there are companies like Aircooled.net that sells the same stuff for less and they guarantee the quality. Who can I trust on this? Where can I find those 4 bolt rims? I prefer Porsche 914 or replicas and I like the sport rims that this car came with when it was new. Somewhere down the line the original rims were taken off and cheap Brazilian ones were mounted. I want to Avoid the Brazilian or Mexican made rims in favor of German or U.S. made ones. Ideally what should this cost?

Reply to
eastwardbound2003

You can trust aircooled.net

Reply to
Jan Andersson

search on wheels Or write to John at snipped-for-privacy@aircooled.net

Reply to
John J

Since they do not sell the 165 R 15 tires anymore at local tire shops, I recommend getting 5.5 15 inch rims so you can use the 185 R 15 tires that can be bought locally.

I still do not fully understand what wheel 'offset' means. What would be best for stock use?

You can stilll get the 165 R 15 tires online from mid america motorworks, aircooled.net, and cip1.com, but they are made in China, unless you want to try Coker Tire in Tennesse.

Coker Tire has some tires starting at $126.00 each plus shipping.

165R15 BFG 3/4" Whitewall. I guess BFG stands for B.F. Goodrich.

Coker Tire Home page link:

|utmccn=3D(organic)|utmcmd=3Dorganic|utmctr=3D=coker%20tires&__utmv=3D-&__utmk=3D11694260 These are for a 1973 Beetle.

Shipping per tire approximate: FedEx Home Delivery ($ 18.65)

Then you would just need to find a place to mount and balance them.

Reply to
Jim347a

Lots of rubber is being pressed in China... my Michelin tires on my workvan seem to be made in China...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I hate it when that happens.

Reply to