Auto fluid in Diff

Just did an oil change on the diff on my automatic T3. Notice a bit of a red tinge in the diff oil suggesting auto fluid is leaking into the final drive housing. I guess its the oil seal between Diff and the auto leaking. Can anyone confirm and whether its a major job?. Might be just easier to replace final drive oil more frequently. tia John

Reply to
John

I think I did one in my very early stages of learning car repair. It was a relatively easy job but I don't remember the details except it might have taken 1 day to do it. lol Now can you find/buy that O-ring or seal?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thats the million dollar question. Hopefully VW used standard sized oil seals! John

Reply to
John

Might be just easier to replace

I guess you could save up and convert to a standard transaxle if it gets really bad.

Reply to
Jim347a

Think I,ll just leave it as it is, change oil more often and as you say keep conversion to manual an option. I think it will be one of those things that will keep on working indefinitely if left alone but as soon as you start fiddlling and seals start moving where they havnt moved in the last 38 years a complete overhaul would be needed. John

Reply to
John

From what I remember it is not a hard job and could allow that transmission to get many more years out of it, instead of maybe months. You could even take the transmission out and to a transmission shop to have that seal changed. I think it is basically one big O-ring, or gasket, that only requires the transmission to be opened in the middle for replacement. BUT do what you think is best! ;-)

BTW I did a brief look and am not sure the dealer will still carry that part. :-( I wonder if some auto trans shops will use some sealant instead.

Good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Speaking of changing auto transmissions to a manual. Has anyone seen a "kit" to change the clutch cable to a hydraulic setup in a Beetle or Type 3?. Running a pipe up to the rear would seem a lot easier than trying to get a tube down the tunnel for the clutch cable. My experiences with cable clutches is that they tend to be on or off, not much in the middle. John

Reply to
John

Some already have the tube installed ready to go! ;-) Yes there are kits that you can purchase with new pedals, master, slave and lines. Not cheap IIRC! Installing a tube is not super difficult but it will require some metal surgery and welding. :-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

there was a hydraulic conversion at one time that mounted the master cylinder for the clutch inside the tunnel at the end of the clutch shaft. it required cutting an access into the tunnel opposite the pedal cluster... this kit let you keep the factory pedals. I have no idea if it is still around, but if you find it, let us (okay, ME) know! (I'm considering a hydraulic conversion because a stage 3 kennedy is pretty stout, and that is what I'll be running with the new engine I'm slowly building)

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Not sure if aircooled.net still sells them.

A link to different suppliers that might have the kit, and it is a lengthy list. ;-)
Let us know what you find! Good luck!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

that's the one...