Jack Point?

Well, Herman is home with me now, and I'll be spending this weekend doing routine maintenance work.

Is it okay for me to use my floor jack under the sump if I put a block of wood on the jack plate? Of course he'll sit on jackstands once up in the air, but will any damage be done to the sump by using a floor jack on it?

Thanks, Larry

'71 Super Beetle "Herman"

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Don't.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Actually, this got me thinking...

On my 69 bug, the place where I typically jack the rear end is at the front trans mount point. Lifts the whole back end nice and high so that I can slip jack stands under the horns that connect up to the rear trans mount. Never had a problem doing that.

Anyone care to comment on the front trans mount jack point?

-Rob

Rob wrote:

Reply to
Rob

That's what I do, sorta. Slip a 2x4 between the jack and the horns and jack from there (right about where the pans end), then put stands where the X's are on the image you linked.

I wouldn't like putting my stands under the horns, seems to me it would make the car prone to losing balance. It would also restrict manuverability while under the car.

Reply to
Seth Graham

Most excellent, Rob. Thank you!

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Hey, I was just snooping around Speedy Jim's site the other day. Your timing was good.

He's the one that deserves the credit! :-)

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

It's actually pretty stable. That's how I have it when muscling the engine during a reinstall, which causes a bit of pushing in different directions. Never had a problem.

Restricing manuverability, maybe a little bit. I've never had a problem, but I guess I've been doing it that way for so long, I've never noticed.

Actually, when I first jack the car up with the floor jack, I slide the jack under the car right in front of the rear tire to get to the front trans mount point. With the jack in this location, it'd be hard to get the jack stand under the torsion tube.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

Bad idea. Only lift the car by the torsion tubes, front and rear. Period. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Say -- that picture is pretty good. Anyone got a picture of the recommended jack points for 71 or thereabouts buses?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Thank you

BTW, I should point out that pic is only for *Std* Beetles.

You can do the exact same thing on a Bus. Careful though if you try to jack the front on the very center of the axle beam; the steering relay lever mount can be damaged. If the Bus isn't rusty, you can also jack under parts of the frame rails. Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Nope! Not from the engine!

I like putting a piece of 2x4 under and between the transaxle forks just in *front* of the thick sheet metal thingie, and put my floor jack centered on that. Jacks up the whole rear end of any Beetle or other VW, at a point which can certainly take the load. Then support the vehicle with jackstands under each rear wheel's torsion bar tube, as far apart as possible, and lower it onto those.

Reply to
John Kuthe

Hi.I've been using the point where the engine mounting bar bolts to frame,behind the rear wheel in the rear(should be the same on your '71),and the torsion tubes in the front.If the rust monster hasn't struck,the jacking points are enough for most maintinance jobs.But beware there.Bondo has NO strength(learned the bad way in the GODs)Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

Oh ya,and remember Westys are heavy and high off the ground.Be sure your jack has enough travel.The stock tire jack barely lifts my rear tire off the ground and if the base sinks at all(sand,soft ground ect)all bets are off.A

5" square of HD ply always goes with the tools,under the base or on the saddle of the floor jack to protect.Steve
Reply to
Ilambert