Safe to use floor jack on differential?

I've been doing this for years with no problems, but is it safe to raise my TJ with my floor jack under the front or rear differential pumpkin?

Tom

Reply to
mabar

L.W.(ßill)

Needs some liquid oxygen. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

You guys might like these:

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

L.W. (ßill) Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

Risqué my ass, that image could peel steel plates off a battleship.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
twaldron

I've read of warping the housing, etc... by jacking right at the diff. Since then, I place a 2x4 between the jack and axle ubolt area or closest to the backing plate.

P.S. speaking of pumpkins (halloween) check out this festive site:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Redge Egder '92, i6 4.0/5spd, 4" of Sky, D30/35's (4.56's) with 33's bolted on the ends.
Et Invenio...

Reply to
Redge Egder

I've heard that a lot of people do this, and the pumpkin is plenty strong, but my concern would be the fact that the vehicle is supported out at the end of the axle tubes and they may shift or bend where they are attached to the pumpkin, especially if you have the weaker d35. I'd be afraid that a shift in the axle tubes could be detrimental to the operation of the diff and potentially lead to premature wear or breakage. I recommend against this practice.

Reply to
TJim

NEVER do this, it's not worth the risk of bending the tubes, which is certain on D35s and AMC20s. Indeed, Currie states the tube section width on TJ D44s is very weak as well, however I think that's just a ploy to market their custom units.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

I've been told that the factory 44's use D35-sized axletubes...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Your diffs drag over rocks and stumps every time you go out, do you really worry that they will not survive a ride on the floor jack?

Reply to
CRWLR

I bet it'd get Herculiner off your Hootus!

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

You might recommend against it, but you do exactly the same thing everytime you get high centered on the pumpkin. There should be no problem doing this, and if there is then maybe offroading should be reconsidered.

Reply to
CRWLR

IT IS TIME FOR A REALITY CHECK HERE ...

What happens when you get the pumpkin stuck on a rock or stump? You support the weight of the vehicle on the pumpkin, that's what. It is a pain in the ass to do this, but it isn't destructive to the axles. You can damage the covers when this happens, but we never see bent axles tubes as a result.

If one takes reasonable precautions by carefully locating the cup of the floor jack, or by using a block of wood to spread the load across a wider area if a bottle jack must be used, tneh there should be no problem for the axle to support the weight of the vehicle. Obviously, using a bottle jack on the pumpkin has its own set of potential problems, but bending the axle tubes isn't among them.

Reply to
CRWLR

Don't choo blaspheme in here!!

Aretha Frankl> You might recommend against it, but you do exactly the same thing everytime

Reply to
twaldron

OP: But you should be ok if your axle is full floating.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson