Where do you place Hydraulic Jack?

Where do you place a hydraulic floor jack to jack up a 2006 Dodge Caravan. I have just purchased this vehicle and am waiting for the shop service manuals I have ordered.

I have looked under the vehicle from the side and can see rails on either side about 3ft long in the front of the vehicle, can one place the jack on these? How about placing the jack in the rear? Any known problems with jacking up the vehicle?

Thank you in advance. Denny B

Reply to
Denny B

Recent Chrysler vehicles I've owned (not including a minivan) have had spots along those rails, near the wheel wells, that fit pretty obviously (once I was thinking in those terms) into the wide area in the top of the jack.

Isn't there a diagram near the jack storage location?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

There are probably locations on the diagram, but they are most likely intended for the supplied "sissors" type jack. It is usually placed under the body, where two sheet metal panels join. The sissor jack has a groove to accomodate this, while the floor jack does not.

I have had this same problem with my 1993 Voyager. In the front, I can use the jack on the "frame rail" but then, there is no place for a jackstand. Also in the rear, the "frame rails" are higher than the lowest point of the body, making it difficult to position a floor jack without causing damage. I have heard that it is okay to place the jack under the "rear axle" but I have not found any reliable info to back this up.

It really leaves the home repair guy with very few options for raising the vehicle.

=46rom what I have noticed, hoists lift the vehicle at about the same positions where the sissors jack does.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50