'Kafer' Pierburg carbs

I posted a few weeks ago that CIP had 'brand new german carbs' for a ridiculously low price. Cheaper than the Bocar, and some 40 bucks less than most other vendors.

I may just be having bad luck, but I think these 'new german carbs' are crap. Sure, they say Kafer on the side and Pierburg on the box, and at first glance they certainly look new, but I'm 2 for 2 on duds. Both had problems with the fit of the throttle shaft in the casting. One had play on both sides, one had play on the side with the accelerator pump. Both also had float control problems, fuel would push out of the main circuit supply horn on a hot shutdown. Yes, I replaced the fuel filter, flushed the lines, and checked the fuel pressure...3.5lbs at 2000rpm. Idle was very inconsistent on #2, and the 'carb cleaner around the thottle shaft' test proved that there was an air leak around the throttle shaft. On a 'brand new' carburetor this is just unacceptable, and the thing will never idle right if it is leaking air in this area.

If you want to see the pictures, you can visit

for the first carb
for the 2nd carb. What bothers me is the damaged fasteners, apparently poor fit of the large front plug, and the play in the throttle shaft.

So, buyer beware. CIP was good about giving me an RMA number to send them both back, but they aren't being so great about giving me a refund. I've kept quiet about this for about 2 weeks now as I tried to work it out with them, but they have stopped communicating with me and they are still offering the item for sale on their website. In the meantime I've got my credit card company going after them for the money.

Just an FYI.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

They also sell a supposed 25W 6V bulb to be used for a backup lamp but it is not even as bright as an 18W bulb... the GE # is stamped right on the base and it is easy to find the spec.s... CIP claims that it is what they claim it to be... B.S.!!! They are getting worse and worse. Wolfsburg West also lists a 25W 6V bulb (I know what GE # it needs to be) and I bet they carry the CORRECT bulb! I'm glad I'm essentially done with the resto. of my bug as I'd hate to get what they're offerering lately.

Oh, and don't ever order their replacement gas pedal... it was so thin and flimsy that I had to chuck it and refurbish my OEM pedal.

Reply to
Red Bug

This is very odd, because I've never encountered any problem with CIP, nor with the Pierburg kafer carb.

I installed a new one two months ago, which I bought from Aircooled.net. I took it out of the box, installed it, and beyond the normal new-carb adjustments, it has performed flawlessly. From your pictures they are the identical-looking unit, but mine had none of the manufacturing or assembly blemishes yours exhibits.

My OPO is that you just had extraordinarily bad luck, and that Mr. Murphy became fixated on your carb situation. You might try the Pierburg Kafer from Aircooled.net once you get this squared away...

Randall Brink

Reply to
Randall Brink

"My OPO is that you just had extraordinarily bad luck, and that Mr. Murphy became fixated on your carb situation. You might try the Pierburg Kafer from Aircooled.net once you get this squared away... "

The thing is, if one vendor has this item for $40 less than everyone else it makes me question where these things are coming from. I'm almost tempted to think they are selling overhauled units. Play in the throttle shaft on a NEW carburetor is just completely unacceptable. Damaged fasteners on a brand new item make me very suspicous about whether or not it is 'new'. Plus that picture I took of the end of the throttle shaft, showing that the nut on the end had been removed, flipped over, and re-installed...on a NEW item? I don't think so. Something doesn't add up here.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

if you shop by price you get smoked, it's just a matter of time. We got a batch of bad carbs, and returned them. I guarantee you they were sold to another vendor that sold them without checking, and of course without a warranty. Most vendors do not waranty electrical or carbs (we do). This is the case with many many VW parts. Just because it's "the same" does not mean it's the same, even if it's the same LOL

Our Industry is rampant with unscrupulous vendors. Caveat Emptor.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

The whole thing looks suspicious, particularly the price.

I can tell you that I paid just south of $200 for mine, and it was clearly a new one, with none of the "anamolies" yours had. As I said, it came from Aircooled.net and worked flawlessly, right out of the box.

I do wish that I had a manual for it, though.

I think you're better off with a full refund and switch vendors.

Randall Brink

Reply to
Randall Brink