loud whine from my engine...please help!

Hi all, I hope I can get some insight on my problem. I have a 1973 Super Bettle, stock engine, 1600, 34 PICT 3, etc...

Today I went to start it after being stored for the winter and soon after I got it running (barely) the engine started to make this really loud whine noise (that's the best I can describe it). I though it was the belt being loose but it's not. I fear it's coming from within the engine. Could this be the oil pump? Not sure if anyone else ahs experienced this. I'm looking for possibilities here. I'm going to investigate some more this aft but I though I'd post and see if I can get some feedback.

Thanks in advance!!

Seb

Reply to
Sebastian

Remove the fan belt and run it for a few seconds( won't hurt). That will tell whether the whine is in engine or in the Gen/Fan.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Could be something in the fan maybe a dead mouse or something.

Bill, '67 Bug.

Reply to
Bill Spiliotopoulos

Put some oil down your dizzy on the shaft where the rotor goes, into that cotton type material, worked for me.

Reply to
Cletus

Put some oil down your dizzy on the shaft where the rotor goes, into that cotton type material, worked for me.

Reply to
Cletus

sorry for the triple post, I just remembered my sound was more like a squeal than whine.

Reply to
Cletus

If it's a *loud* whine it's most likely the Gen. fan. Start it, grab the top of the fan shrould, & pull & push on it. If the sound changes it's the fan. Or pull the belt like the other guy said. After sitting you probably got a rodent going up into the shrould to bed or eat his acrons. I'll bet you find shells in the fan & shrould. HTH, ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver

And grease the shaft lobes too.

Jan

Reply to