Help with an engine number, please?

I recently bought a FrankenGhia (1965 chassis, 1962 body, undetermined engine (1600?)). I am really confused on the engine type. The number on the generator pedestal is 0401196 and below that a little is 39494. I can't find letters anywhere. I did get this part number off of the sump, though -

311 101 101. This is leading me to believe that the engine is from a type 3 fastback. Any help would be appreciated, as I am having problems with stuttering and backfiring (flame from the exhaust) and would like to start getting into the proper timing and such.
Reply to
The Toups Family

Probably a re-man engine. BUT......it does NOT matter.

The engine has zero bearing on the timing specs. Find the distributor P/N stamped on it and then go here:

A compression test may be in order too.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Okay...distributor P/N is stamped 0231 178 009, which I read should be set at 7.5 BTDC static. That may be the problem...mine is set at 0. Although I highly doubt it...the problem is intermittent, and solved itself with new plugs and wires for a few hours. I'm off to get a compression gauge and a set of valve cover gaskets. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
The Toups Family