Main Wiring Harness Question - Help Please

How much total, parts and labor, would it cost me to take my '73 STD VW Beetle to a shop and have the main wiring harness replaced? It would cost me btween $106.00 US to $152.00 US plus about $9.00 US for shipping just for the main harness. Thanks In Advance! Sleepy J.

Reply to
Loosenutbehindthewheel

Standard mechanic fee being $80/hr at 4 hrs minimum = $480 for an install. And that is.. if they know what they are doing. Give or take on the hourly rate being a old VW mechanic, depends on his work load and personality...

Reply to
Funkie

argg :)) bad math, $320

Reply to
Funkie

Not sure if you are in the position to do this, but you may want to think about doing it yourself. You'd have to make sure you keep good notes and make plenty pictures, but wiring is usually not that difficult.

If you are not comfortable with things electrical, you could get the bugme video that covers wiring (I don't have that particular one, but all the other videos by them are excellent).

At least the video will give you a good idea of what is involved so you can use it to evaluate your mechanic's VW savy, should you decide to get it done.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Replacing your wiring harness isn't brain surgery, but there's several things that make it much easier for the do it yourselfer:

  1. You MUST take good notes on everything you do while removing the old one. Every wire that comes off, make a note of what color, where it connected to and where it came from. This comes in handy especially around the rat's nest we call a fuse box.

  1. Photos are a great help. Take them of everything from every angle. Again, the fuse box will get you here if you don't !

  2. Do not remove the old harness from the body of the car without tying a guide line to it. You'll use this to pull the new wiring harness back through all that foam.

  1. Before you start, make sure your instructions that come with the new harness are clear and easy to understand. I've done 2, first one the instructions were great, second set was in German !!! Thank God I held on to copies of the first one.

Hope this helps, Susan S.

Reply to
Susan S.