My odometer has lost its mind!

Filled up just after getting out of work, odometer shows 00621. Got home - straight home - ODO shows 00636. It's a 5 mile ride...

No wonder I occasionally seem to get extraordinary MPG.

Bet I've been changing my oil too often, too.

Chris

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

I once sold a speedo to a guy with the same problem. I sold it cheap because the needle had broken off. He was going to replace the MPH pointer. Imagine how that could be done? good luck!

Reply to
Jorge

Jorge - When I redid my '59/'60, I disassembled the speedo, fixed the odometer (and reset it to 00000), and replaced the colored plastic for the generator/oil/blinker lights. Never had a problem with it after that. Guess putting a needle on shouldn't be too hard.

just can't picture - visualizing the odo gears - how it can turn a tens place at the wrong time. There's only one tooth on each wheel to turn the next one.

Chris

Jorge wrote:

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

All I can think of right now is friction between the wheels. ?? (prob'ly a really dumb idea)

---------------------

RAMVA was always cool, you could post that you turned your odometer back to all zeros and no one ever threw a fit about it. LOL :)

Did that to my new-to-me '91 Bronco with 125k miles after I got it and swapped the automatic transmission for a ZF 5 speed manual.

FullSizedBronco.com didn't either, they're pretty cool over there. For a website forum, it's got a bad reputation. Most guys can't handle it. xD

To me it's got kind of a "sweet" newsgroup feel to it. ;)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

LOL! The political-correctness of setting the odo to zero would never have dawned on me.

Glad I'm not in the "uptight about BS" group :)

Boy, it's good to be home.

Chris

snipped-for-privacy@Example.com wrote:

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

There is a little white gear that drives the readout assembly. Gets loose on shaft which lets now disconnected readout vibrate to wherever it wants. Used a tiny bit of superglue on mine after spraying it with cleaner to get oil off. That was on my car anyway.

LOL! The political-correctness of setting the odo to zero would never have dawned on me.

Glad I'm not in the "uptight about BS" group :)

Boy, it's good to be home.

Chris

snipped-for-privacy@Example.com wrote:

Reply to
John

Thanks John -

In this case (I've been watching it), the tens place turns at 9-0, then again at 4-5. Hundreds place I haven't caught yet, but I _know_ it has skipped a thousand on me at least twice.

Makes for fantastic illusionary gas mileage ;)

Chris

John wrote:

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

You know I just acquired a pile of parts with two speedometers that were under water. I just may take them apart as I have never looked inside one. wish me luck.

Reply to
Jorge