brrrr its cold down souff

My disco has decided to stop playing ball now the cold weather is here. Paa typical landrover sense of humour, but it was blinking cold and i couldnt clear the screen my main concern. The guage reads cold, its been run for at least an hour, the heater settings were set for 'blinking hot' but all i got was a slight difference from heater setting 'blinking cold'. Any ideas all you experts out there in ether land.

many thanks

Tony

Faulty thermostat - stuck open. Replace and recheck the heater operation.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Sat, 04 Nov 2006 15:31:22 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

sounds most likely. Mind you, if it's a TDi they're too bloody efficient, no waste heat to heat the cabin with. Flip side of having a 2-ton-plus vehicle that does 30+ mpg.

but you can help it by changing the thermostat and make damned sure it's the right one - the generic crap-motor-shop ones are often "oh, that's close enough", well it isn't - the TDi stat shuts the bypass on the engine and you need the right one.

Another thing to check: viscous fan not releasing about 30 seconds or so after startup, and spinning to much, resulting in too much cold air getting in.

If you still get crap heating and the gauge shows normal temp, and the engine's hot, then try reversing the flow through the heater matrix by swapping the pipe connections over.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote:

|| On or around Sat, 04 Nov 2006 15:31:22 +1300, EMB || enlightened us thusly: || ||| T wrote: |||| My disco has decided to stop playing ball now the cold weather is |||| here. Paa typical landrover sense of humour, but it was blinking |||| cold and i couldnt clear the screen my main concern. The guage |||| reads cold, its been run for at least an hour, the heater settings |||| were set for 'blinking hot' but all i got was a slight difference |||| from heater setting 'blinking cold'. Any ideas all you experts out |||| there in ether land. ||| ||| Faulty thermostat - stuck open. Replace and recheck the heater ||| operation. || || sounds most likely. Mind you, if it's a TDi they're too bloody || efficient, no waste heat to heat the cabin with. Flip side of || having a 2-ton-plus vehicle that does 30+ mpg. || || but you can help it by changing the thermostat and make damned sure || it's the right one - the generic crap-motor-shop ones are often "oh, || that's close enough", well it isn't - the TDi stat shuts the bypass || on the engine and you need the right one. || || Another thing to check: viscous fan not releasing about 30 seconds || or so after startup, and spinning to much, resulting in too much || cold air getting in. || || If you still get crap heating and the gauge shows normal temp, and || the engine's hot, then try reversing the flow through the heater || matrix by swapping the pipe connections over.

All very good, but a *complete* lack of heat (rather than just a pathetic amount of heat) suggests no circulation. I'd check the water levels before anything else.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 4 Nov 2006 12:11:18 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

good point. and fill yer TDi by undoing **carefully** the bung in the top of the stat housing.

In fact, I'd recommend everyone to swap these for the earlier brass type, the black plastic ones are just waiting for the opportunity to break, and when they do, they leave a hole through the middle.

Unless I miss my bet, Beamends Richard sells the brass kind for a couple of quid. There's one in the rad, as well, but that's not removed very often on a TDi.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

He does indeed - ERR4686B £1.76 inc VAT ideally, ERR4685ALU should be used instead of/as well as the O ring.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

If you ran it on the driveway that's normal-ish. My 200 would not warm up at all until it was driven.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Its decided it wants to be a series then :)

In my case the advice is dress up warm and keep on wiping the screen.

Maybe the heater tap is not working or the thermostat has gone.

Reply to
Larry

Neither does my TD5, it'll get off cold but no real heat.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice