Mysterious Leaks and Aftermarket Fender Beading?

A question for the group:

Is it possible that the aftermarket fender beading that I'm using could be responsible for the water leakage I get in mein Volkswagen? Having exhausted all (I think) the obvious possibilities over the last several years, I decided to try silicone caulk on the mounting bolt holes for my front fenders last fall. Since I never got around to doing it, and spring may be coming at some point here, the issue has come to mind again.

That aftermarket (i.e. JCW) stuff I used seemed rather stiff and plastic-y, whereas I think the original stuff was more flexible and rubbery. It seems like it may help seal water out at the points where the bolts fasten to the body. Any thoughts?

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams

Just to clarify, here's what I can recall trying:

The trunk seal is (was) new in 2000, as is all other rubber (including the breather box seal.) I siliconed those weird corner areas and all along the top edge; around all trim clips from door posts forward; around windshield and trim; around wiper posts and antenna; around door hinges; around the edges of the pan-to-body seal. The 'firewall' area was pretty rusty so I made sure I siliconed any questionable areas around patches. Master cylinder/brake line holes thru firewall were siliconed. Wherever it's getting in, it seems to show up in the heater channel (coming out of the wiring harness hole behind the heater outlet.) This is a '68 so it has the older style metal-covered heat outlet in front of the door post.

I've been afraid to install the carpeting, for obvious reasons, and drive it with tarboards on the floor covered by rubber mats. I think I may have eliminated some water coming in from some of the other areas I've siliconed over the last 4 years, but it still gets some on both sides; a bit more on the driver's side. Water will get in even if the car is stationary, so it doesn't seem to be related to any sort of negative cabin air pressure phenomenon.

In 2000 there was so much water inside that I remember driving north on US 1 in Ellsworth ME, stopping for a traffic light and having a tidal wave of water rush forward from the rear floor pans, which being a bit lower than the front can hold quite a bit. There was enough water so that a pamphlet on the floor in the back made it all the way up to the pedal cluster! It's a hell of a lot better now, but I'd love to get this issue resolved this year. Any suggestions?

Al Adams

Reply to
Al Adams