name that wire (or super beetle just stopped running)

I was warming up my '73 Super and after about three or four minutes the car died. I tried turning the car over and the starter is turing fine, which is good because I replaced the starter less than 1,000 miles ago. I just do not get any spark.

I used my Idiot guide and thought I'd track the problem to the ignition coil. I had spark TO the coil, but not FROM the coil to the distributor. As far as things go, replacing the coil is an easy fix. I pull the old coil out, making sure to note what was plugged in where. Then something strange happened. I noticed that passing behind the coil was a wire that wasn't plugged in to anything! I am

100% sure it was not plugged into the coil. The coil had the following plugged into it:
  • ignition wire (thick wire-comes through the left side of the engine compartment)
  • two lines to the carb (small thin wires)
  • two lines to the distributor (one small, the other the main feed to the distributor)

The connector on the mystery wire comes through the same route as the ignition line (left/driverside corner of the engine compartment). It also has the same connector head as the ignition line. It is a slide on connector, but has a thick rubbery cover. The wire is again like the ignition wire, thick, compared to the thin, standard wires going to the carb.

I'm hoping this solves my problem, but I'm not optimistic...

Thanks for any help, Ballard Bug '73 Super

Reply to
Ballard Bug

There is a thick Blk wire routed across the front (rear) of the fan shroud. It has an in-line fuse and is for the backup lights. I would venture that is your mystery wire. Leaving it of will not affect the spark.

On my web site, look for "How to wire the carb (choke and solenoid) to the coil."

There is also an article on "Why won't my engine start", including a section on no spark."

If replacing the coil doesn't cure it, I would be suspicious of a bad condensor.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
jjjoseph

Jim, I checked out your site and my carb is wired per your diagram. Interesting you mention the condensor. I didn't have time to check if the free wire is for the reverse lights, will do on Tuesday.

In January I had a tune-up done and a week later the car back fired, then wouldn't start. Nice eh? It turned out the condensor was bad. I thought, "What kind of mechanic wouldn't check or replace the condensor during the tune up?"

If the condensor is dead again, it may point to something else. What could cause the condensor to die so soon?

Thanks, Ballard Bug '73 Super

Reply to
Ballard Bug

It could also be a wire that goes to the diagnose plug terminal (or what's that little white box with the little lid on it called??) . The

73, and later, bugs could be connected to a diagnose computer via that thing. If I remember correctly there was a wire from the + side of the bobine that went to that thing..

Greetings, Gerrelt.

Reply to
beetle boy

If it's a skinny wire, it might be for diag. You can find the complete details of that plug on my web site.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim