Cranking engine - nothing happening?

I removed all the plugs and now wish to crank it to get rid of any water from the pistons. How do I crank it to do this? Is this simply turning the key in the ignition? As I disabled the ignition, and now when I turn the key nothing happens, just a click.

What am I doing wrong?I disconnected the plastic block connector (as it says to do for a compression test) and the middle wire on the distributor which goes from the distributor to high tension coil.

Reply to
AJ

How can you crank it with the ignition disabled?

Reply to
AJ

The message from AJ contains these words:

Yes. Is the battery flat?

Reply to
Guy King

I don't think so, has been on charge, and radio works ok but I can check it. Maybe the problem is that I have disconnected the thick wire from the distributor to the ignition coil? As for the compression test it only says to do this for the injection model. For the carb model it just says disconnect the distributor/crank angle sensor wiring at its connector plug.

Reply to
AJ

Why do any of these things need disconnecting, is it just a safety issue or some other reason. For the fuel injected model it says also to remove the fuel pump fuse, but not for the standard carb models.

Reply to
AJ

perhaps the engine is seized or wrecked?

disconnecting the ign system should not effect turning the engine over, it is done to prevent fire and damage.

if it is a manual gearbox then put in top gear, release handbrake and push the car, this will turn the engine if it can be turned at all mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

They're all paranoia, reconnect them all & try & crank it (put the spark plug leads well away from the petrol) with the headlights on. If the headlights dim then either the batterys flat or the engines seized. See if the engine rotates with a spanner & no spark plugs.

Reply to
Duncan Wood