new and sayin hi

caroline wrote:

"an Irish-built '70 Beetle..."
manufactured in Ireland?? Can you expand upon that?
"T3 camper..." I'm not being picky. Type 3 usually refers to the Fastback/Squareback cars. What we called the Vanagon in US is known as the EuroVan or T25 elsewhere.
Anyway, we welcome you and your project here.
Speedy Jim http://www.nls.net/mp/volks /
"Speedy Jim" wrote

I most certainly can! Have a look here for more info: http://www.vwmadeinireland.com/main.htm Although the website mostly concerns itself with the VWs made in the Ballsbridge (Dublin) plant, when the Ballsbridge factory closed down, another factory was set up on the Naas road (which is where my Beetle was built). I believe they continued making them on the Naas road until '77. (less than an hours drive from here) Irish-bult VWs have a little shamrock etched into their glass...a cute touch I think.

That's why I said T3 not Type 3 ;o) Over here (Ireland) they are most commonly referred to as T25s...but more correctly known as a T3 (as a Bay is a T2 and a Split is a T1, (and the newer Transporters are T4 and T5 respectively)...not ever to be confused with a TYPE 1 2 or 3...although it IS a Type 2) are ye confused yet *LOL* I believe on mainland Europe it is more common to call them a T3 or even a Bulli....they wouldn't have a clue what a T25 was if you told them you had one ;o)
caroline wrote:

Well, live and learn!!
Thank you. (bookmarked)
Loved the rust in peace page too:-)
Here's the US equivalent: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/1381/menu.html
also: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88145967@N00/sets/575563/show /
Speedy Jim http://www.nls.net/mp/volks /
"Speedy Jim" wrote

Thanks for the links...also bookmarked ;o)

Your website looks handy too.. bookmarked as well ;o))
"Kim in Tulsa" wrote

Hi Kim
Great to see you here!
I've tried to leave comments for you a couple of times, but it looks like they're still not getting through?
Good stuff you're doing though...I check your blog regularly ;o)
Hi - and good luck with the bug !
Rich

thanks for the welcome, and hiya! to the others that came outta the woodwork as well ...
one of the first major things i gotta do with the bug is wiring harness ... i finally located a good wiring diagram that is in the factory coloring ... got it on the way ... but as i am re-running the harness and get to some of the peices i may end up with questions on which wire hooks where ... since the person before me decided to unhook most of this stuff before giving up on the car ...
and the floor pans .. they arn't bad but there are pinholes in them in front and rear ... i am not sure if my skill is up to removing the body and welding new pans in .. so might try some of the fiberglass inserts and fastening them down on top of the old panels after wirebrushing and painting them...

If you are using the original harness, take the time to put new ends on first, after chasing down electrical problem after problem a few years back, if I had just taken the time to cut the wires back about an inch and crimp new connectors on, I would have had lights on all four corners the first time. Clean up the male ends with some emery cloth while you are at it. I think it was Mr Hoover who recommended tinning the contacts on the fuse panel to help keep the juice flowing. Don't be afraid to ask for help if things get confusing, I have at times and gotten timely (and more importantly, USEFUL) responses from many members (when it comes to electrical stuff, pay close attention to Speedy Jim), you will too. Keep us posted.
Sneaks '68 T1
sadly about half of the origional harness has dry rotted on the insulation and / or been cut to hell and back so i will be replacing the entire harness with a new one .. (not upgrading to blade fuses or anything like that) ... just got to figure out some of the wiring pin outs for a few peices in the car where it is non exsistant ... for instance on the motor .. not a single wire is ran or hooked up ... and it has been to long since my last VW so i am not sure what goes where and so forth ... and on the 'regulator' i beleive it is (under the driver side rear seat) all the wires have been unplugged from it and are just hanging there ...

most all of the orig harness in it has either been cut up many times or is dry rotting and falling apart so going to be running a new harness in the car...

Don't be shy....this one worked:)
Just think of us as group IMs with a really long delay in responding.
:D
Sneaks '68 T1

think of it as dial up while trying to post a message on a html based chat room ...
http://www.the-delands.net/VW /
i uploaded some pics real quick of my basketcase
Flea wrote:

Hi Flea, and welcome to the group :)
Google will let you search old messages in this group, there's a wealth of information (and entertainment) available from the past 10+ years of our ramblings :)
Jan
hi flea ,do you play in a rock band?

hah! .. no i got stuck with this nickname before that band was even playing ... i am a victim of a teacher taking first initial and last name and putting a sticker on the front of my desk ...