new and sayin hi

thanks for the welcome, and hiya! to the others that came outta the woodwork as well ...

one of the first major things i gotta do with the bug is wiring harness ... i finally located a good wiring diagram that is in the factory coloring ... got it on the way ... but as i am re-running the harness and get to some of the peices i may end up with questions on which wire hooks where ... since the person before me decided to unhook most of this stuff before giving up on the car ...

and the floor pans .. they arn't bad but there are pinholes in them in front and rear ... i am not sure if my skill is up to removing the body and welding new pans in .. so might try some of the fiberglass inserts and fastening them down on top of the old panels after wirebrushing and painting them...

Reply to
Flea

If you are using the original harness, take the time to put new ends on first, after chasing down electrical problem after problem a few years back, if I had just taken the time to cut the wires back about an inch and crimp new connectors on, I would have had lights on all four corners the first time. Clean up the male ends with some emery cloth while you are at it. I think it was Mr Hoover who recommended tinning the contacts on the fuse panel to help keep the juice flowing. Don't be afraid to ask for help if things get confusing, I have at times and gotten timely (and more importantly, USEFUL) responses from many members (when it comes to electrical stuff, pay close attention to Speedy Jim), you will too. Keep us posted.

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

Don't be shy....this one worked:)

Just think of us as group IMs with a really long delay in responding.

:D

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

think of it as dial up while trying to post a message on a html based chat room ...

Reply to
Flea

sadly about half of the origional harness has dry rotted on the insulation and / or been cut to hell and back so i will be replacing the entire harness with a new one .. (not upgrading to blade fuses or anything like that) ... just got to figure out some of the wiring pin outs for a few peices in the car where it is non exsistant ... for instance on the motor .. not a single wire is ran or hooked up ... and it has been to long since my last VW so i am not sure what goes where and so forth ... and on the 'regulator' i beleive it is (under the driver side rear seat) all the wires have been unplugged from it and are just hanging there ...

Reply to
Flea

most all of the orig harness in it has either been cut up many times or is dry rotting and falling apart so going to be running a new harness in the car...

Reply to
Flea

i uploaded some pics real quick of my basketcase

Reply to
Flea

shaggie posted a picture of my ugly mug a couple years ago, when i had headed down his way... guessing it broke his server, still unsure how his camera survived...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hi Flea, and welcome to the group :)

Google will let you search old messages in this group, there's a wealth of information (and entertainment) available from the past 10+ years of our ramblings :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

'66 vintage here....

Sneaks '68 T1

Reply to
Sneaks

As long as you don't have enough bolts left to rebuild another bug, rule of thumb says you'll be just fine ;)

Reply to
Remco

"Sneaks" schreef in bericht news:-fednQvFldZ0NR3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

I'm from '71.... but sometimes feel like a hundred.... (moan)

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Reply to
Jeff Barnes

hehe, no but after 3 or 4 i might have enough ...

Reply to
Flea

| >> I'm a 72... if anyone cares. | >>

| >> Jan | >

| > '66 vintage here.... | >

| > Sneaks | > '68 T1 | >

| | I'm from '71.... but sometimes feel like a hundred.... (moan) | | Roger | |

I'm a '65, only months younger than my bug.

Eddie

Reply to
Eddie

hah! .. no i got stuck with this nickname before that band was even playing ... i am a victim of a teacher taking first initial and last name and putting a sticker on the front of my desk ...

Reply to
Flea