Car no go

I have a new battary in the 67, but it has been going dead. It probably is a generator problem. I saw an ad in Hot VWs from Cal Imports that had a rebuitl generator for $38.95. Has anyone had any experience with the rebuilt ones. I have never put one in before, so is it a major job to get one installed. If my car had sold, the new owner would have been ticked off because it would have started when he left, but not started later in the day. I guess the car did not want to be sold, so it decided to run the battary down. :o) Bill Berckman

67 Beetle Pictures at
VW/Porsche Family Reunion Show 2003 Pictures
Bill Berckman

While it's easier on a '67, Gen replace is not a trivial job.

Before you get too involved, read "How do I test my Generator?" on my web site. Post back an we'll go from there.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

My experience with a re-built gernerator was bad - lasted maybe 14 months. It was not purch. from so-cal, but from a local parts place.

I replaced the bad rebuilt with a new bosch about 7 years ago with no problems.

Have you checked for worn-out brushes? You may luck out and only have to spend about $5 & 5 minutes replacing them if they are the culprit.

Good Luck!

=================================

" ..... I ain't no bandleader!!"

Reply to
Jack Woltz

Reply to
Braukuche

None trivial, no kidding. What is with the "howling fan" problem? Took me at least 10 tries to get the shims and cooling fan alignment issues worked out on the 71 bus. No troubles since, thank heavens.

Bryan

home.comcast.net/~nestle12

PS - thanks speedy for hanging out here all these years

Reply to
Bryan and Colleen Wooten