Nitro

Nitro .... NOT Nitrous !!!

anyone got any info or links as to what you can get out of a bug motor if you run it on top fuel ?

I have just come back from a weekend at Santa Pod Drag strip and it got me wondering ;-)

I saw plenty of stock and stock pro cars using nitrous, but none running on top fuel. Only the funny cars and dragsters were using that.

I have no idea about top fuel - just one of my crazy ideas !

anyone know ?

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Ruins rubber and plastic parts in the fuel system, and is illegal on the street?

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Not a clue about nitro, but here is a 1641 turbo bug with a motorcycle sized nitrous shot.

Freddy Badgett

Rich,

While I have no personal experience with the stuff myself, but, I do have a friend that is a member of SAE. He told me a few interesting things about nitromethane that I would like to share with you.

Nitro carries a lot of Oxygen atoms within it's structure and so it doesn't need as much air to burn. AIR/FUEL ratio for max power of 2.5/1 (14/1 for pump gas) so you get more potential chemical energy. Top Fuel burning engines consume the fuel at a phenomenal rate, approx 54 gallons per mile! The pistons and rings rarely last more than 3 runs. The engines are often dissassembled between every run. It is expensive. (one quartermile pass in a 2 liter engine would run over $200 for the fuel alone, including Hazmat Fees paid to the retailer) It can be quite toxic as lesser quality Nitro contains other Nitroparafins such as Nitroethane, Nitropropane and II-Nitropropane (a known carcinagen).

Homer

P.S. Did I ever tell this group about my 9 second Karmann Ghia?

It takes nine seconds for the oil pressure light to go out...

Reply to
Homer

What you do is running a mix of Methanol and Nitromethane(Glycerine? I forget which is the proper term), the higher the mix, the more volatile (base is Methanol, ad as much Nitro you have balls to do).

The most common use is in small two stroke engines used for RC models, being boats, cars or planes. The common mix is casteroil, methanol and Nitro, with the latter upto

30% in most frequent uses. Must admit it is ehhh some 25 years ago since I played with the stuff. Even ran it in my moped, cant say I was impressed(serious re-jetting is needed for optimal results).

Good luck!

J.

Ps. To run it in a car a huge fuel supply system is needed.

Reply to
Berg

OT: 80cc Suzuki PV (50cc if the cops asked). With insane compression and gears chosen to sacrifice top speed (100kph) in favor of acceleration ;D Insane for a knee high moped. Now they put 550cc turbo engines and even Gixxers in them, lol. Well mine still looked street legal.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Reply to
John

Thanks for the replies guys .

I was just thinking it could be a *relatively* cheap and easy way of doing one or two very fast 1/4 passes so I could see if I enjoyed it enough to spend the thousands needed to build a decent drag/street engine.

I didn't know how much jetting would be involved.

Also - I believe that nitrous takes a bit of setting up too ?

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Nitrous does cost quite a bit, but you can buy complete kits minus the extra fuel line and plumbing. Bolt on(Need to drill and tap manifolds) with fogger nozzles, can even be used with stock end castings. Use to be available as a Vw specific kit from Nos??

Except for the kit you need high output fuel pump and all lines/plumbing which comes with that.

J.

Reply to
Berg