nitrous ?

I know the basic principal of the power boost you get from nitrous and that you can only run it in short bursts .

Does anyone know why you cant use less for longerbursts or continuously ? Say ,for instance, just to get your bus up that big hill at more that 40MPH !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

You don't need nitrous!!! You need a good working engine :-) I can go up a big hill at 75 MPH on my beetle and it is starving for fuel. I need a bigger main jet!

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

I used to get 80 - 90 in my stock beetle 1300.

But a fully loaded bus , or in my case single cab pickup, with a 1600 single port engine can sometimes need a little boost !

My other bus with a type4 2l engine is fine.

Mainly just curiosity about the nitrous.

João

Reply to
tricky

At work I've been a member of a design team, tasked with designing atomic analyzers that burn stuff using nitrous oxide and acetylene. It makes for a really intensly hot flame - scarily hot, in fact, if you do something wrong. (I still have eyebrows, but only by pure luck :)

I am not positive on its effect on cars, but burning nox makes a really hot explosion. I'd imagine that if you ran it too long, everything starts expanding beyond spec and thus starts wearing badly. Either that, or stuff just plainly starts melting. Can't be good.

How about putting a monster AC engine in it? Or maybe a subaru 2.2? (not a Legacy 2.5 - that's an interference engine, I think). I've seen sites of people that have done it - it would make for a very interesting project. Subaru makes great little engines as well and a

2.2 with Turbo has big brass balls!

Remco

Reply to
Remco
80 - 90 in a stock beetle 1300 up a hill ?!?!? or down a hill?!?!? I can do 95 down a hill, but it is scaring...

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

115mph in a 74, stock suspension, wider wheels and tires :D Yea, scary. Didn't need to try that twice.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

would likre to keep it stock and not spend too much cash !

NOx would be such a simple upgrade . But I guess if it worked, everyone would be doing it .

I watched myth busters making the rocket out of nox and parafin wax - wow !!! When they tested it , it melted everything in sight !

Rich

Reply to
tricky

.=2E.and when I was about 130 km/k a girl on BMW crossed in front a me. (Speed limit 50km/h) It was a good test to my new shoes (drums all around). It smelled burning brakes :-)

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Gotcha! I think one does have to be careful feeding Nox into a flame. We've had flashbacks (where it finds finds another way and the flame just follows), blowing half our instrumentation to smithereens. I didn't hear properly for a week!

Yeah, that's one of my favorite episodes - also my most favorite show. That's the one with the civil war rocket, right? Nox is not something to trifle with - can make big booms :) Wouldn't you love to work on that show when you grow up??? :)

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I have experience with NOx, and it's simple in concept, but difficult in practical application.You can not simply " use a shot " of nitrous to boost horsepower..You must add more fuel as well, when the shot is "on". There is the tricky part- how much fuel is enough,and not too much-too little and you melt pistons,too much, it runs lousy. Error on the side of too little nitrous,and too big a fuel jet in the nozzle and back the fuel down until the power is there. The location of the nozzle(s) is important,and the stable fuel pressure necessary to feed the fuel jet in the nozzle. The street style system I am familiar with has a dash mounted arming switch,and only operates at wide open throttle. A small shot makes lots of power. It will split thin walled 94 mm cylinder jugs when using 20 pounds of blower boost and a large shot.The 87 mm jugs and 69mm stroke crank live well under those same conditions.

Freddy

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Thanks Freddy

and - post more often ! that was usefull to me.

Rich

Reply to
tricky