turbo

Anyone know if there is any difference in turbo's for diesel and petrol ?

as in - if I buy a turbo for a diesel engine, will it work on a petrol (bug) engine ?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Pop over to the Shoptalkforums and read the forced induction forum, great source for info. The short answer yes, they are different both in sizing and carbon seal or not...

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

You better believe there are. Huge differences. Find a diesel specialty group.

Reply to
Two

It will work the "same" but I don't know if the pressure ratios would be suitable. In general, turbos for diesel engines are MUCH smaller than turbos for the same size gasoline engine.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Maybe that would be a GOOD thing whilst I learn and experiment. Less likely to give too much boost and blow the engine ?

Rich

Reply to
tricky

Thanks - I will check them out .

Rich

Reply to
tricky

An IHI turbo from a Thunderbird super coupe works well on a 1641,using a single 40 weber style carb , set up as a blow thru system. The single best addition to this setup was a MSD ignition including distibutor. Before the ignition upgrade,jet changes had little effect. It seems the "burn" of the fuel is much more complete with the MSD. The stock style distributor with the vacuum advance set up as a pressure/boost timing retard worked, but the MSD was a world better. Beware detonation/spark knock - swift and sure engine damage. Get all the turbo books- Turbomania ,etc and study up, and visit the shoptalk forums forced induction forum (although they seem to steer everyone away from the blow thru style system. Blow thru works, it was a factory option on Studebakers from 1958 thru 1964) Knowledge will make power.

Freddy

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Probably the best thing for me to do, rather than rush in to it - welding and bolting things together !

Reading on shoptalk, it seemed like you could get any old turbo, plumb it in and away you go . At least to get you started anyhow.

Thanks again

Rich

Reply to
tricky

My son drag races a 65 bug with turbo and nitrous. Most of the screw up's are behind us. The engine set up was street driven for a year, with heater boxes. In the drag car ,It has been 6.48 at 104 MPH on a perfect day (1/8 mile stats) E-mail me.

Freddy

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

# Sure you've seen it already, but theres a few turbo discussions on VZi at the mo, a few pics on the tech forum.

james

Reply to
Juper Wort

Hi James

I havn't been anywhere except RAMVA for a while. I just registered with shoptalk - there is loads of stuff there - I was amazed !

Last time I looked at VZi it seemed pretty basic stuff that was discussed. I will go back and see.

RAMVA has allways seemed more homely if you know what I mean, so I just hung out here .

Rich

Reply to
tricky

I know what you mean. A few Turbo threads, just caught my eye.

Currently watching a thread on Painting on the cheap & they're on about Rustoleum or however you spell it. Seems to be the wonder paint. Any comments from over there ?

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Sounds impressive - and expensive ! I am just gathering info at the mo. Not got the spare time to actually build an engine. Hopefully in the spring I can get a corner of my workshop clear to start a build. I am guessing it will be 1641 or 1776 with 7 - 10Lb boost to be durable - daily driver. Looking for power/torque quick starts, not top speed.

I am hoping to build a tight - stock(ish) engine, then junkyard the turbo setup. Also need to figure out which cars I might use it in and make sure they are capable of cornering and stopping !!! (just incase my right foot gets heavy ;-))

I will reserve the invite to email closer to the time if thats ok.

Reading shoptalkforums drag race section definatley makes me think it would be fun to try ! Dont know how much race action I could get localy. (legaly that is )

Thanks Rich

Reply to
tricky