No pressure after oil change

PLease help i cant work this out at all, all i done was change the oil now i have no presssure what so ever!

Reply to
PauL Soames

What makes you think this.......the light is not working?

Reply to
Vanagon Man

When you removed the oil sump plate, is it possible that the nut inside the case on one of the studs came loose? If so, that nut holds the oil pickup tube tightly in the case. If loosened, the pump will suck air.

You can remove the oil pressure switch and see if there is oil being pumped out (or screw a 1/8" pressure gauge in). Assuming there really is no oil, you could rig a way to pour oil back *in* the port for the switch to "prime" the pump, but it should not be necessary normally.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Reply to
PauL Soames

Ah. Next step would be to remove the oil pump cover plate; see if the gears go roundy round.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Reply to
Douglas

This is a stupid one, so don't get angry with me. I just could imagine=20 that this could happen to me.

Did you remember to fill the new oil in after emptying the old out?=20

Reply to
Olli Lammi

This is a stupid one, so don't get angry with me. I just could imagine that this could happen to me.

Did you remember to fill the new oil in after emptying the old out?

Reply to
PauL Soames

If it were me I would pull the coil wire and put the sender back in or put a mechanical gauge on it.............then crank it until the light goes out.............I bet it has "lost its prime"..............this is a common thing when you test a motor before you install it. It takes (sometimes) a little while to push the air out of the system and have oil only flowing thru everywhere...............I have had to crank off and on for a few minutes with no pressure.walk away for an hour, crank it again and have 60 lbs.................it thought me do pull the coil wire everytime i start one of my cars that has been sitting so that oil is lubricating BEFORE I actually run it..............

Reply to
Vanagon Man

there is air between the pump and the pickup, or the pickup is not seated properly and is sucking air instead of oil.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

How about replacing the old filter back on the engine, pull the spark plugs and crank at high speed with no load, if the pump primes up again and pressure builds, suspect the new filter, I've had this happen before.

Reply to
Douglas

Reply to
PauL Soames

I have a removed the pressure sender from the case and there is no oil coming out, i only removed the sump plug and not the whole plate. Im worried the pump has given up.

Did this happen after an engine rebuild or on a new engine? Maybe if you start over, but also remove the sump plate and the oil strainer. Maybe the oil strainer is clogged up or damaged. Check the oil pick up tube for looseness.

Reply to
Sleepy Joe