No thermostat

squirrelman, the shroud is for the vehicles with airconditioning....the compressor mounted to the *left* side of the carb and therefore the duct had to be redesigned and repositioned to clear the unit....so rest assured you don't have an "oddball"....LOL

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

poor picture at

The top picture. It'scrooked, you need to put your right ear on your right shoulder tostraighten things out. But if you look for a minute, you will see anodd protuberance that the air duct attaches to. It does not look like any of the photos I've seen of the shroud.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott

71 VW Type 2 -- the Wonderbus (AKA the Saunabus in summer)
Reply to
bugfern

and

message

will

as

thermos.    Due to the fact I run T-4

thermo, did you have flaps and

learning

Reply to
bugfern

:D

Still up... guess I'll leave it there for a bit longer..

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

That's why the linkage spring is for, it pulls the flaps open in case the thermostat fails or falls off.

I've never heard of a shroud that didn't have flaps from the factory. These engines are OLD, and have seem many a mechanic during their lives. Some smarter, some dumber.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Because if you don't have a thermostat then the flaps will be closed and the engine will overheat and blow for sure. Joe Cali - Next Generation -USA

"JS" wrote in message news:ypqHb.30730$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.socal.rr.com... > I had no flaps at all. I have the stud on the case, so I can put a > thermostat on there. Anybody know if they still sell the flaps, thermo and > connecting rod anywhere? > > Thanks, > John > > "Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA" wrote in message > news:5fqHb.248366$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net... > > I did extensive research on using Thermostat and flap. First of all the > > Brazilian engines were running Fuel Injection. The computerized FI will > > properly warm up the engine. The same for the later model air cooled > > Porsches. On T-1 carb engine it tests are on the side for using them as > to > > not using them. If you live in a warm climate all the time, you are > > running a basic stock engine, it should warm up fine. But even with > thermo > > removed you should still have the flaps for cooling. Don't think the > > Germans forgot what happens once the flaps open. The flaps now have to > > direct the air to the right places to be the most effective. Like in 90 f > > plus temps. Not blow it all over the place. > > My engine designs all use thermos. Due to the fact I run T-4 > engines > > in T-1 cars, the engine is hardly working so it needs a lot of help > warming > > up. In temps below 40f my engine will never get over 120f oil temp > > without a thermo. Not good for engine life and gas mileage and the car > will > > run rough. > > > > By the way the guy that did not have a thermo, did you have flaps and > if > > so were they open? I would think if it came from the factory without a > > thermo, they would have something directing the air. This is a learning > > lesson for me also. > > > > Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA > >

Reply to
Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

Eduardo, You are right it is the Mexican I was thinking about.. OK do the Brazilian use thermostat and flaps or not? Or is there different fanhousing to direct the air if the flaps are not used. Joe

Reply to
Joe Cali - Next Generation-USA

Jan, I initially looked for your flaps page at

There's so much other good reference material there, perhaps you could submit this one? Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Because if you don't have a thermostat then the flaps will be closed and the engine will overheat and blow for sure. Joe Cali - Next Generation -USA

Reply to
Ilambert

Reply to
Ilambert

to each his own, but the bugs imported to SoCal had them....and the engine is going to be exposed to "outside air" as long as the fan is turning. i don't know if you even follow what i wrote...but it doesn't matter...i searched high and low for months to find the proper cooling setup(all the small tin bits that get tossed and the flaps, connecting linkage, the control rod, and the thermo bracket) and i am glad I did...no more of the old problems that i thought were "just the old vw"....faster warmup equates to better gas mileage, less engine wear and better performance. not cracking those high dollar performance heads is a plus also...if it is silly to want the things listed above then call me Mr. Clown

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Oh ho! The rare and elusive *air conditioning-ready* version!

Thanks!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Who's the good online source for cooling tin bits? I am missing the sheet metal under the cylinder heads. Better get it, and the proper bolts. Someone who provides the bolts, too.

-- Rocky

Steve

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Nah. Too lazy.

:D

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Persuant to that, I invite speculation from the RAMVA crowd: Here's the setup: '71 bus. Thermostat is missing. Unclear if linkage is present. Assume no linkage. No tin under cylinder heads.

You drive the bus to the local shop (Randy's Foreign Car in San Diego maybe, close to the trolley, easy for drop-off and pick-up) and say to the nice service manager: please, kind sir, install the missing parts and get the cooling working.

What kind of price range do you think this would fall into?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Chances are they won't. Or the estimate they will give you will be astronomical, because they deliberately will choose to price themselves out of your reach. Why? They don't have time to go hunt for the missing pieces and can't see the need for them in the first place.

Then there are those shops that will charge you something reasonable, but will fail to mention you that they left out some critical pieces because they too were too lazy to go hunt for them. Many are only available used these days, and searching for them is time away from work that could actually bring "easier" money in from some other customer. Easy decision if you are running a "volume" shop rather than "quality" shop. The quality shops can't survive anymore because there are too many gullible people who fall for the cheap prices of the "volume" shops.

I could go on and on and on, but I'd just bore you.

The best, and most reliable way to do it, is to either do it yourself and learn along the way (You have RAMVA here to support you). Or find some other, mechanically skilled hobbyist to do it for you, someone who isn't in it for the money.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Not so much rare and elusive, the past few I have aquired have been modified for A/C whats neat is the different ways the original installers came up with to get that thing out of the way! All mine have been differnt configs and your is yet another version (pretty decent one by the way). My favorite was one I took out of a Ghia, The installer actually took the outlet right off and filled it in. I only had to do half the work to build a "faux" Thing shroud :) Mark Detro Englewood, FL

Reply to
Mark Detro

nopes. at least all the brazilian tinware I have laid hands on had no flaps and not even the slots to put them in.

don't know about the fanhousing... the normal replacement has no flaps and no heater outlets. original has heater but no flaps.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

I completely agree.

Too late. :D

Actually that mechanically skilled hobbyist can help you arrive at the 'do it yourself' stage if you're so inclined.

I believe the Bergs have all the stock cooling system components. The catalog has several nice diagrams and all the part numbers. The part numbers are available at

. Here are some pictures I just shot of the shutter (flap) assemblies: http://63.230.74.177/misc/flaps/ Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to