Oil Sensor Question

Sometimes my car will not start and I have to unplug the wire from the starter to the regulator and use a wire my mechanic provied to touch the + on the battery and the wire to the starter to crank it up. Well today at the bank that was not working. You could hear it making noise but not starting. Someone wiggled a wire I think on the engine and it started up. Was wondering if the oil sensor having a bad connection could cause it not to start?

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

[...]

No. Oil sensor not involved in starting on aircooled.

It's a little hard to picture what you are doing. What wire goes from the starter to the regulator?? What year Beetle is this on?

There *is* a Red wire under the back seat from the starter solenoid. It joins a plastic splice *near* the regulator. Is that the one?

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim
71 Autostick Super

Yes that is the wire the red one. I touch it with one end of my wire and the other end to the + on the battery. This time it acted like it wanted to sttart but the guy looking at it said it was getting no gas. I had to do this to start it and got to the post office and it cranked up from the post office to the restraunt and then to the bank which all are pretty close together.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87

Not possible, it has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

It is posisble that they wiggled the coil wires though, those are in the same general area in the engine room. If the coil positive wire is loose, it may have an intermittant contact.

Your mechanic should have fixed it or told you how to properly fix it. Find a new mechanic. :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Drove it two more times yesterday and no problems.

Thanks Steven

Reply to
Noice87