oil weight in So. California

The oil that VW specifies for the air cooled type 1 sold in Mexico until

2003 is SAE 15-40 SF/CD. This was for the 1600 cc engine with hydraulic lifters. George
Reply to
George

Awesome, thanks! Then that's what I'm going to go with. 15 is thin enough for starting even on chilly (50 degree) mornings and thick enough at hot running temps. This is the grade my father-in-law had suggested as well.

Reply to
ostaz

An added benefit of the 15-40 is that its a common diesel grade. Diesel oils have more detergents and a higher zinc level than the modern blends, mostly due to the fact that the zinc would be bad for a modern O2 sensor. The higher zinc is very good for the cam lifters etc. I run Rotella in my engines due to this. You may also wish to consider the 5-40 synthetic. It is a very reasonably priced synthetic oil.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

don't call me "dude" i won't date you..... you also never said you didn't drive the car when temps were below zero, but you are just being argumentative now.... the car may start and "run" quite nicely(amazingly a lot of folks think a sloppy running car "runs" well..)...newsflash you won't see bearing wear by raising the hood....good luck with it...you may be needing it....LOL...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

that is exactly what 20-50 means...next time you are out in zero weather open a quart of it and dump it out...dress warm it'll take quite some time...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani