Old VW's Unsafe?

On 11 Oct 2004 14:23:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comcrap (RSMEINER) scribbled this interesting note:

Not really, I just decided to cut the list short for brevity. There are more examples of unsafe cars out there than you or I could possibly count...

John Willis

You make a good point, especially regarding how difficult a police officers job can be, in ways many of us would not appreciate.

The safety features on any car do not imply absolute security. We would hope that such features mean an improvement over the previous model. The safest cars in the world do not prevent people from getting killed. The danger may be, in part, in the perception of safety. I remember reading an insurance article, many years ago, which claimed that VW drivers were less likely to be in accidents than others. If this was true, then it would represent the true safety of these vehicles, at least at that time.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Been there, done that, got a scar to prove it too

J.!

Reply to
P.J.Berg

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:43:39 -0400, "Peter" scribbled this interesting note:

For the surviving, older ACVW drivers out there it must still be true. Call it "Evolution in Action."

John Willis

Stunting on a bike without wearing safety gear is Darwin collecting his due, not stuff.

But they do have steel. In my '71 Olds, the Toyota that pulls out in front of me is my crumple zone.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

As Bob said, "Troll". We used to have them with the same questions. Let's see, oh ya, one of them was Matt. Is that you Matt?

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Good point. I only have 8 fingers.

Randy

RSMEINER

This is history in the making.

Bob Hoover's shortest sermon, ever.

This proves that you can answer a question and speak volumes with only one word.

Thanks again Bob, for your insightful and valuable information!

;-D

Reply to
Alan Nelson

73-88 models.....i have an 83...doesnt scare me anymore than driving my aerostar(workvan) with the ABS(plastic) fuel tank monted just inboard, but below the frame...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

An impoverished, unqualified statement such as yours is impossible to answer, but if you are deeply concerned about being safe in an accident, I offer two remedies: 1) DON'T DRIVE or 2) Get a friggin SUV. If neither of these appeal to you, then please contact us again after you have undergone an infusion of responsibility and guts. If you choose option #2, then just f*ck you.

Reply to
jjs

good to see ya John...was worried about you....everything okay?

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

John, glad to hear your advice on #2. Very today, using Chaney's reply and all. Hope things are going well for you.

href="

">Den's1977 Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Yep, check out the crash test of the French Citroen 2CV! This site also has a Beetle.

I don't know for certain, but I feel pretty sure that other vehicles> built in countries where safety standards don't exist, and never have> (as well as places like France, etc!:~) have built modes of> transportation that make the safety record of Beetles look positively> rosy!

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Alot of us have been driving aircooled VW's along time, Whos been in an accident and was there others with you,and how bad was anybody hurt. I had pics of Gary's 66 when he was T-boned but there tapped on a dead hard drive. I have been in 2, one the brand new chevy Z24 was totaled ,I drove was able to drive away. the 2nd my 73 super was hit real hard in the rear it broke the engine out. the VW jetta that hit me was totaled also. My son 9 months at the time and a friend in the passanger seat . we got a little dizzy from doing a few

360's nut again no injurys.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys

Hey, I had a Pinto! I'll be I'm the only one who had the temerity to have a flame paint job - on the rear - with the flames going UP!

Reply to
jjs

I still enjoy what the late John Muir said (paraphrasing) that all would-be drivers should be lashed to the front of a VW bus to be sensitized to the realities of driving.

Reply to
jjs

Nothing a good night's sleep wouldn't help. :)

Reply to
jjs

Was having some medical issues but much better now. Thanks.

Reply to
jjs

I had three close friends die in a pinto, I would rather walk then ever ride in one. being in the auto body business as long as I have I can tell you there are very few cars out there thats safe when being hit by another car, truck or wall . Best I can say is learn to drive or stay off the roads.

Mario

Reply to
Kafertoys