butchering of old VW's

I would never hurt a pre-1970 VW in any way, but I notice junkyards have a habit of just torching the backs off to remove the motors for re-sell....has anyone else seen this?

Reply to
pmbedard

Junkyards are RUTHLESS.... Up here in Ohio the buggy guys go to yards, and will torch the front end off a sedan to get the beam!

I'll never in my life forget the feeling I had a couple summers ago at a local yard...

At the time I was fixin up, and driving a 63 Impala 2dr HDTP daily, and went to this particular yard because they have a large inventory of OLD cars, and are always getting new ones in. That day I was looking for stock valve covers, aircleaner, and fan shroud. I found it all, and was on my way out when I looked up at a stack of flat cars...between a mini van and an old dodge diplomat was the tails of a 63 Impala...not just an impala...but an SS. (trim on the SS's is VERY hard to find, and VERY expensive...unless you go repo, which is STILL expensive)

When I got back to the office, I asked why the car had been stacked...their answer :

"The engine and transmission were gone, as was the interior...and it had some frame rust."

WHOOPTI DO! I was ready to strangle someone.

Another yard that no longer exsists, had a european 67 that was ROUGH (someone tried to add a targa top at one point) but it still had good fenders, apron, and pan...thye literally cut car apart to get the engine, and the beam...when they were done...there was NOTHING left on the car that was usable....NOTHING. It's BS.

Nick

Reply to
Nein H20 VWs

I'll see that, and raise ya one. There's a company here in town whose primary business is procuring aircooled Bugs and chopping them in two right behind the door post (leaving the door intact) and welding on a big piece of sheet metal to enclose it, making it a two-wheeled car with its back propped up; the whole deal is beautified to look like a nice new Bug and placed in one of several lame-ass clothing boutiques. This has happened to dozens and dozens of Bugs--my neighbor works for 'em--breaks my heart to see it. I know that a couple of ovals bought the farm this way.

Ain't life painful sometimes-?

While I have everyone's attention...does anyone know where to get an OEM wiring cover, original pressed cardboard, black (not ABS)-??

gracias

buzzy

Ne> Junkyards are RUTHLESS.... Up here in Ohio the buggy guys go to yards, and will

Reply to
BuZzY

Wolfsburg West used to have them... just did a quick search and couldn't find them though. Call Ron Bengry @ W.W. and see if they know where you can get one. If they don't have it he should know who does.

B.C. Bugger