On the level?

I'm nothing more than a newbie with engines and cars. I am, however, considered by some to be a sage and wise old man in the area of my expertise. Every so often, someone will post a question that raises my eyebrows on the newsgroups that address the stuff I know about. Questions that demonstrate that the poster's understanding of How Things Electronic work is so rudimentary as to approach that of a mollusk.

I do not make fun of such people. No, not I, because it is here on RAMVA where I get to post questions that clearly show my pitiable lack of understanding of things VW and mechanical.

So here's my question (#346 in a series): is there any reason why I can't lift the rear of the Wonderbus when adjusting the valves? Park it up on those nice Kragen lift ramps that I bought? Seems to me that the valves won't care.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Gosh, I hope not, Mike -- because if that's bad, Herman is in serious trouble! (I can't fit under there otherwise!)

Larry '71 Super Beetle - Herman

Larry St. Regis

The valves won't even know, if you don't tell 'em.

I tried to use those ramps once. They just shot out from under the wheels when I tried to drive onto them. And with significant velocity as I recall.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

You on ice or something? My ramps stick to the asphalt like s**t to a blanket.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I can fit, but don't like it. And my reading glasses aren't strong enough to let me see the closer parts of the engine.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I was in my garage (in San Jose) at the time. That was a very smooth sealed surface. Not meant for traction. Probably would have worked fine outside.

Or maybe I should try your blanket trick? ;-)

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Just back it up on a curb. Block the wheels. My stock Bug isn't powerful enough to climb my ramps. :)

Reply to
jjs

Reply to
Ben Boyle

I always jack up the side I'm adjusting the valves on. That way, the oil runs to the other side, and I get less drips from removing the valve covers, plus more room to work.

John Kuthe...

Reply to
John Kuthe

Shhhh! Don't reveal all the secrets! let them get dirty and suffer from cramps like we did when we first started.... :)

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Nice try, Jan-o! I did it all by myself and have the bloody knuckles to prove it.