one or two washer under the flywheel gland nut?

Hello NG. I just had removed the flywheel on my 1303 engine for change the seal and the o-ring. I noticed there where two washers under the glandnut. Is this correct? Or should there only be one? Could there be a reason why the previous owner has installed two washers? Greetings from Denmark....Michael

Reply to
MIC

a stock gland nut had one wavy type washer....

your guess is as good as anyones as to "why"....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Typically 3 shim washers. Only one raises some suspicion:-) Definitely do a crank endplay test. Should be between .07 to .15mm (wear limit). If over that, there may be a serious problem with the case. Excessive endplay leads to oil seal leaks and no amount of seal replacements will fix it.

3 shims are used because they absorb the relative rotation of the crank and main bearing, so the shims are continually sliding.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Argh!! Chris read the original post correctly.... (and I didn't:-(

Disregard all the above advice. Well, maybe check the endplay anyway.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks. I installed only one wavy washer and torqued the gland nut til 270 ft/pound.

Reply to
MIC

excellent.....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

hehe...hard to believe since i am on vacation this week and am currently drinking beer to my hearts' content......

NEVER hurts to check the endplay...hehe...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Yeah... This one...

still remember taking that picture and what I was thinking at thetime: "Oh, wait... What's this? AGGG!!! I forgot to put the gland nut washer back on. Well that's just CRAPTASTIC!!! OK, I took the clutch and pressure plate back off, removed the gland nut, added the washer, then put it all back together again. Used a piece of rebar to keep the flywheel from turning this time since the angle iron was trashed. Time to put the engine back in."

Reply to
Shaggie

Oh, that explains your colorful language you used when replying to my automatic "I'm out of the office" email responder thingie. :-D

Reply to
Shaggie

nah...that was last night...i was just messin with ya then...hehe...you liked it, admit it....

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Your repair skills are like mine: very good!

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

ONE

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Thanks everybody....i installed one washer..... ...MIC

Reply to
MIC

There should be one washer under the gland nut, and 3 shim washers under the flywheel.

-

Jim Adney

some vw rebuilt one had 2 from the factory. don't know why. Peppe

Reply to
Peppe

Reply to
ilambert