How do you tell if you have a 4-bolt (dished) cam shaft?

I need to order a new oil pump for my 74 Superbeetle. I don't know if it has a flat, 3-bolt cam or a dished, 4-bolt cam. Can anyone tell me where to look to find out. I can get the engine number from the casting if that would help.

Thanks

TDK

Reply to
Theron King

the only way to know is to look at it, typically by removing the oil pump.

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

the casting number is no help, as the cam can be changed, and not be visible from the outside...most, if not all, aftermarket(okay probably ALL) are the three bolt design......you need to pull the rear tin, pulley tin, and oil pump so you can actually *see* the number of rivets or bolts....or be prepared to order the pump for the dished cam and possibly have to press the gear down on the shaft and then have the shaft ground off....good luck...

------------------- Chris Perdue "I'm ever so thankful for the Internet; it has allowed me to keep a finger in the pie and to make some small contribution to those younger who will carry the air-cooled legend forward" Jim Mais Feb. 2004

Reply to
Chris Perdue